Bin Laden dead?

• Thread starter Captain_Fishpaste
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair enough but war is war. Any hypocritical tag won't last very long and it'll all be conveniently forgotten, swept under the carpet in the same way that we conveniently forget that we killed german captured prisoners during WWII.

We might well see the same thing happen again with Gaddafi (the US have made more veiled threats in his case) but I would imagine that might be tad more politically sensitive. Just a tad mind.

Maybe it will, i suspect it might be more significant than that in terms of world history though. That wasn't my point anyway though i was talking in terms of immediate global relations and our image to the worlds population today, in particular members of arab/muslim world in which our governments not held in the highest regard by many, quite justifiably based on our track record. Merely pointing out that this could have been chance to come off smelling a little better.

Even the Israelis tried ex nazis who were involved in the holocaust rather than just bumping them off didn't they?

The Israelis aren't really the best example to use when talking about the execution of terrorist leaders without trial.

The US kills plenty of suspects on a regular basis with its drones. Perhaps not ideologically sound, but a pragmatic action. It's the way of the world.

If we lived in a perfect world it wouldn't happen. But we don't live in a perfect world, and in the list of things that I'd like to see done better, this sort of thing doesn't rate highly at all.

Maybe it will, i suspect it might be more significant than that in terms of world history though. That wasn't my point anyway though i was talking in terms of immediate global relations and our image to the worlds population today, in particular a small proportion of members of arab/muslim world in which our governments not held in the highest regard by many, quite justifiably based on our track record. Merely pointing out that this could have been chance to come off smelling a little better.

Fair enough.

I amended that because from what I've heard Bin Laden wasn't exactly respected in the muslim world either. He'll be widely remembered for a few thousand souls in New York but that's chicken feed compared to the devestation his dogma has created among is fellow muslims.

:lol: You'll want him awarded the Nobel peace prize next.
Calling bin-lad just somebody with different ideals is one of the funniest & most incorrect things I've ever read on here.

It's probably a bit closer to the truth than most of what the Western media would have you believe. What exactly was Bin Laden guilty of? Apart from being a West hating fundamentalist like so many of the fuckers I work with?

It's probably a bit closer to the truth than most of what the Western media would have you believe. What exactly was Bin Laden guilty of? Apart from being a West hating fundamentalist like so many of the fuckers I work with?

Mass murder

Mass murder

Aye, but it's some sort of proof I'm looking for. There is so much wrong here that it's difficult to find a starting point.
Invading Afghanistan: will the West apologise now and bring the dead back to life seeing as he WASN'T f***ing THERE.
Invading Iraq: What WMD's were they then?
Bombing Libya: in what way are the insurgents a better choice than the sitting government?
NOT bombing the many, many regimes worldwide that behave as bad or worse than Iraq / Libya.

Now I freely admit I have been guilty of judging people based on their nationality - but that is because I believe our (Western) way is superior. A difficult standpoint after the Yanks sent a team in to shoot an unarmed man and his wife because they think he had a hand in some stuff. I've got to go back to work in the Middle East in a couple of weeks, thanks to Team America it will be even more hazardous. Arabs hate the West and make it quite obvious. I wonder f***ing why?

In 99 cases out of 100 I am inclined to agree with COAB & co, but we are talking about the head of an international terror network responsible for hundreds of bombings, beheadings etc and tens of thousand of innocent deaths. I would shoot the **** in the head if he begged me for mercy.

Bin Laden was the leader of a military faction that had declared war on the US.

Trials don't come into it. This wasn't death as punishment for a criminal act. It was a piece of military strategy.

According to certain reports, Al-Quaeda was bigged up from a handful of poorly equipped nutters to a shadowy worldwide network (like S.M.E.R.S.H or S.P.E.C.T.R.E) by the CIA. Again, hey maybe I'm in a minority here, but I like a bit of evidence before I kill someone.

ouro said:
According to certain reports, Al-Quaeda was bigged up from a handful of poorly equipped nutters to a shadowy worldwide network (like S.M.E.R.S.H or S.P.E.C.T.R.E) by the CIA. Again, hey maybe I'm in a minority here, but I like a bit of evidence before I kill someone.

If I founded a military faction called Chebs, got a parking ticket in Idaho then declared war on the US on behalf of Chebs, then I'd risk being taken out cos I've declared war - not cos of the parking ticket.

People needed some sort of result. If he'd decided to hole himself up with an AK47 making some sort of last stand and final attempt to take "1 more western life" as some sort of statement i'd find it fully acceptable he'd been shot dead. I think that we (by that meaning the Western coalition) are constantly trying to put forward certain important standards that all must abide to, one being a uniform system of law and due process.

Even the Israelis tried ex nazis who were involved in the holocaust rather than just bumping them off didn't they?

Upholding our beliefs and principles even in the most extreme of situations would have been a much bigger victory than executing an unarmed man who had been captured. (If version of events is indeed true)

Hardly in tears he's dead, just think we went about it in the wrong way and could have made an extremely positive statement to the rest of the world in therms of what we stand for, rather than being made to look like hypocrites who say one thing on the world stage then just do whatever we please when it suits us for the millionth time.

There was a (Jewish) British Army section that went after Nazis at the end of WW2, executing without trial those they suspected of atrocities. Also after the Munich Olympics they had a Mossad team that hunted the terrorists down and executed them without trial.
IMO they executed Bin Laden because they didnt want his followers taking hostages to try and force his release. Good riddance for me like, he was head of a repugnant terrorist organisation he would have showed no mercy if the boot was on the other foot!

Can I start the thread when it's MBH? ;)

Disclaimer, this is a joke and will only be understood by a few. MBH need not think it's the beginning of the next Indianna Jones crusade.

If I founded a military faction called Chebs, got a parking ticket in Idaho then declared war on the US on behalf of Chebs, then I'd risk being taken out cos I've declared war - not cos of the parking ticket.

Surely what separates us from the terrorist and crackpot dictators is the laws and principles we are willing to defend, what message dose it send or what dose that make us if we are willing to so easily brush aside our law and principles in pursuit of revenge.

There was a (Jewish) British Army section that went after Nazis at the end of WW2, executing without trial those they suspected of atrocities.

I can find anything to official corroborate your statement, you sure you’re not confusing inglorious Bastards.

There was a (Jewish) British Army section that went after Nazis at the end of WW2, executing without trial those they suspected of atrocities.

I can’t*

Surely what separates us from the terrorist and crackpot dictators is the laws and principles we are willing to defend, what message dose it send or what dose that make us if we are willing to so easily brush aside our law and principles in pursuit of revenge.

Bin Laden was the head of military organisation who had declared war on America though. Bin Laden was basically a soldier killed in battle, and he helped define the rules of engagement of this particular battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back