Bin Collection - Side Waste

Just a reminder that as from today Sunderland Council Refuse Collection will not collect anything that is not in your wheelie bin. Even if it is in a black bin bag it will not be collected. It must be in the bin.
From the council that is actively working to prevent fly-tipping

Just leave it on the path, then ring them to remove it, they are legally obliged to move it

Just a reminder that as from today Sunderland Council Refuse Collection will not collect anything that is not in your wheelie bin. Even if it is in a black bin bag it will not be collected. It must be in the bin.
From the council that is actively working to prevent fly-tipping
Wow. And we actually pay these pricks to run out City/County.

If people recycle properly, then I don't see why you would need refuse side waste 99% of the time. If you have a larger household, then they should offer you a 2nd bin.

Not taking side waste for recycling will be an issue I'd think, which it reads like they won't from the FAQs when they mention cardboard boxes.

Soon there will be an added fee for all your bins plus a small fee each year for your street cleaning and so on which will not be taken off the council tax.
Once that's all done then they'll put up your council tax again then think up another money-grabbing scheme.

Hartlepool is one of the biggest rip-offs for council tax and they rarely clean our streets now. You have to beg them and their answer's usually "oh the funds prevent us from doing it."
The same goes for street weeding.
They're turning this place into a slum.

Soon there will be an added fee for all your bins plus a small fee each year for your street cleaning and so on which will not be taken off the council tax.
Once that's all done then they'll put up your council tax again then think up another money-grabbing scheme.

Hartlepool is one of the biggest rip-offs for council tax and they rarely clean our streets now. You have to beg them and their answer's usually "oh the funds prevent us from doing it."
The same goes for street weeding.
They're turning this place into a slum.
Aberdeen City Council is the same we have to pay a yearly fee on top of our Council Tax to get our green waste collected plus they have put up the yearly Council Tax figure too. Mine is now over £3000 a year and they do less and less plus the estate we live on I have to pay a factor fee for them to cut the grass and empty the bins. So for my Council Tax I do not see what they do for the cost of it, during the cold spell the roads and paths weren't gritted and people we skidding and sliding all over making it so dangerous until I went out and gritted the paths and roads myself.

Aberdeen City Council is the same we have to pay a yearly fee on top of our Council Tax to get our green waste collected plus they have put up the yearly Council Tax figure too. Mine is now over £3000 a year and they do less and less plus the estate we live on I have to pay a factor fee for them to cut the grass and empty the bins. So for my Council Tax I do not see what they do for the cost of it, during the cold spell the roads and paths weren't gritted and people we skidding and sliding all over making it so dangerous until I went out and gritted the paths and roads myself.
They really need to be taken to task over this stuff.

If people recycle properly, then I don't see why you would need refuse side waste 99% of the time. If you have a larger household, then they should offer you a 2nd bin.

Not taking side waste for recycling will be an issue I'd think, which it reads like they won't from the FAQs when they mention cardboard boxes.

I could not agree more.

We rarely get our refuse bin half full nowadays. The recycling bin gets near capacity sometimes but as long as we remember to tear up cardboard boxes and compress plastic bottles there is still enough space. Either families are not recycling properly or are hoying things into the refuse bin that should be taken to the tip. As usual it is the councils fault and lo behold anybody having to think about how they can personally solve the problem.

Last edited:

Have to agree with this. Family of 3 and main brain is rarely more than two thirds full whereas recycling is full every fortnight

One neighbour, only two of them and they have managed to get an extra general rubbish bin from somewhere and manage to fill both every fortnight - probably a correlation between that and the fact they get at least one takeaway a day

Also never even knew they took separate waste anyway

This. We changed to 3 weekly collections for our general waste and I thought we'd struggle but we just started recycling properly and it's fine.

Back