Bin Collection - Side Waste

Newcastle have been doing it for years, and you can receive a fine if you chuck black bags out next to the bin.

Durham don’t allow sidewaste either.

Don’t see the problem. Absolute scratter behaviour. Our street is full of clampets who put extra out and it just ends up being ripped open by seagulls.

Last edited:

Pretty sure it’s been like that in Durham Council area for years, I’m sure when I worked at Easington District Council it was the same crack. Our recycling bin is usually overflowing, but the general waste is never normally full after 2 weeks.

I could not agree more.

We rarely get our refuse bin half full nowadays. The recycling bin gets near capacity sometimes but as long as we remember to tear up cardboard boxes and compress plastic bottles there is still enough space. Either families are not recycling properly or are hoying things into the refuse bin that should be taken to the tip. As usual it is the councils fault and lo behold anybody having to think about how they can personally solve the problem.

If you eat a lot of takeaways, the main bin can fill up quite quickly. (I don't btw)

I know this only accounts for 0.01% of people, but if you have twins in nappies, you'd struggle with bin capacity.
Newcastle have been doing it for years, and you can receive a fine if you chuck black bags out next to the bin.

Don’t see the problem. Absolute scratter behaviour. Our street is full of clampets who put extra out and it just ends up being ripped open by seagulls.

Exactly, for those twisting about it, Sunderland are one of a few councils left whove been allowing it. They're just doing what everywhere else has been doing for a while.

Last edited:

Doesn’t stop my neighbours mind. Large family of adults living there and every bin day there are black bags.

Bin men pick them up no bother

Doesn’t stop my neighbours mind. Large family of adults living there and every bin day there are black bags.

Bin men pick them up no bother

Ours have started packing their extra bin bags on top and just leave the lid open. Nappies everywhere Tuesday just gone.

Soon there will be an added fee for all your bins plus a small fee each year for your street cleaning and so on which will not be taken off the council tax.
Once that's all done then they'll put up your council tax again then think up another money-grabbing scheme.

Hartlepool is one of the biggest rip-offs for council tax and they rarely clean our streets now. You have to beg them and their answer's usually "oh the funds prevent us from doing it."
The same goes for street weeding.
They're turning this place into a slum.
That’s how it works over here.
Have to buy stickers for rubbish or it gets left.

Ours have started packing their extra bin bags on top and just leave the lid open. Nappies everywhere Tuesday just gone.

The next phase is refusing to take bins where you can't shut the lid.

As a family of 5 it's easier now the 2 little uns are potty trained to a point so less nappies but the green bin always has the lid propped up a bit and the recycling is generally full even with crushing things down. Didn't even realise you could leave side waste until we got the notice saying it was stopping.

Just a reminder that as from today Sunderland Council Refuse Collection will not collect anything that is not in your wheelie bin. Even if it is in a black bin bag it will not be collected. It must be in the bin.
From the council that is actively working to prevent fly-tipping
Do they just leave the side bags??
As a family of 4 we struggle to half fill the rubbish bin once a fortnight

I think as long as you’re not taking the piss with about five bags every week and maybe putting one extra one by the bin every few weeks it’s not a problem. They’re only chucking them in the crusher anyway!

This. We changed to 3 weekly collections for our general waste and I thought we'd struggle but we just started recycling properly and it's fine.
That would be fine if they did weekly recycling. Our recycling gets full every week and we end up having to start using main bin for stuff that could be recycled.
Do they just leave the side bags??
As a family of 4 we struggle to half fill the rubbish bin once a fortnight
They'll put them inside your bin after emptying it.

I Thought that was the case for years with extra stuff
as said surely getting as much of the areas waste in places you can collect easily is the target
recycle ones are the problem around mine ,tramps filling them with half eaten pizzas etc then the wind blows them over all over the street

I think as long as you’re not taking the piss with about five bags every week and maybe putting one extra one by the bin every few weeks it’s not a problem. They’re only chucking them in the crusher anyway!
They changed it to one bag last month and now all extra bags go back in the emptied bin.

If people recycle properly, then I don't see why you would need refuse side waste 99% of the time. If you have a larger household, then they should offer you a 2nd bin.

Not taking side waste for recycling will be an issue I'd think, which it reads like they won't from the FAQs when they mention cardboard boxes.

You can get a larger bin capacity I think though
Not sure about two bins.

In terms of side waste recycling surely people don’t fill up the blue bin with food waste recycling? it must be boxes from deliveries etc? If that is the case then most I assume would be able to take it to the tip to recycle. Alternatively if there is ever an issue where we live neighbours just share their bin capacity where possible.

You can get a larger bin capacity I think though
Not sure about two bins.

In terms of side waste recycling surely people don’t fill up the blue bin with food waste recycling? it must be boxes from deliveries etc? If that is the case then most I assume would be able to take it to the tip to recycle. Alternatively if there is ever an issue where we live neighbours just share their bin capacity where possible.
Boxes, jars, food packaging, pop bottles, paper (not Xmas) empty tins, plastics that can be recycled etc.

Few people in my street are going to struggle with that. Family up the street produce more bags than the Waltons at Christmas.
If people recycle properly, then I don't see why you would need refuse side waste 99% of the time. If you have a larger household, then they should offer you a 2nd bin.

Not taking side waste for recycling will be an issue I'd think, which it reads like they won't from the FAQs when they mention cardboard boxes.
Not disagreeing with you but how many is in your household?

Last edited:
I didn’t think you were allowed to leave bags next to the bin until I saw the notice come round that they were fading it out.
Same I'd always thought it was the rule.

Family of four here and never need side waste. Recycle as much as possible and both bins are full by collection day but manageable.

In recent years I've needed to save bulky cardboard for a trip to the tip mind.

And ring up and say me bin hasn’t been emptied
Wot yeh gunna Dee about it
The problem now is the amount of reyclt
No matter what I do and we don’t eat a lot of convenience food the bin is bursting
Admittedly can be a few delivery boxes that have been flattened
Perhaps internet delivery should include a surcharge for recycling services
I’m still suspicious about what actually happens with all the recycling
Normally councils are trumpeting about the recycling cycle and what they are doing to recycle and green credentials
Local councils are very quiet about it

And ring up and say me bin hasn’t been emptied
Wot yeh gunna Dee about it
The problem now is the amount of reyclt
No matter what I do and we don’t eat a lot of convenience food the bin is bursting
Admittedly can be a few delivery boxes that have been flattened
Perhaps internet delivery should include a surcharge for recycling services
I’m still suspicious about what actually happens with all the recycling
Normally councils are trumpeting about the recycling cycle and what they are doing to recycle and green credentials
Local councils are very quiet about it
Certainly up to few years ago it was shipped abroad and then we didn't give a fuck what happened to it. The country told us it would be recycled. But there was a report on it where it was all going in land fill.
I'm under no illusion it's much better now

Certainly up to few years ago it was shipped abroad and then we didn't give a fuck what happened to it. The country told us it would be recycled. But there was a report on it where it was all going in land fill.
I'm under no illusion it's much better now
Exactly the silence is deafening
We need some of the smb councillors to step up here

Back