Billy Hughes... what a player he was...

Aye,that's about what my memory of it is.I think Pop Robson may have got a goal in that game

Somebody passed the ball back to the Southampton goalie,no danger at all,Pop seemed to just grow out of the ground and put it in the back of the net

Another wonderful player and legend that seems to have been forgotten about Pop Robson.
Pop got 2 40 years ago today!!

On Cup Final Day, on the bus to Wembley, Billy had a set of laughing false teeth which had everyone in stictches and probably got everyone relaxed. It featured on the prematch build up on Grandstand. Well done Billy.
I remember it well, and in comparison, there was no laughter on the Leeds team bus, just glum, solemn faces.
They'd probably lost the will to live, after taking part in one of Revie's, well documented, team bonding, carpet bowls tournaments, in the team hotel, the night before the Cup final. :rolleyes:
Leeds looked beaten, before they'd even got off the team bus.

Was that a 3-1 home win v Southampton at the start of the season? About 74-75? Fulwell End?

Don't remember it well, now, but at the time it really stuck in my mind.
Just looked it up in my History of Sunderland 1879. ... 1995.Updated and revised by Bob Graham.

Second game of the season Aug 24 1974.

Monty,Malone,Guthrie,Longhorn,Watson,Moncur

Kerr,Hughes,Halom,Robson,Towers.....Sub Belfitt.
Scorers Watson,Hughes,Robson.Crowd34,021.
Sunny day if I remember rightly.

First game of the season was Millwall away,I was there too.4...1, same team Kerr,Hughes,Halom and Towers.
Had a chat to the players after the game outside the dressing room.

Watson that looked such a giant on the pitch seemed so small and skinny.

Pop seemed to be around 5 ft 7.I was ya 6 foot 3 shipyard worker about 22 years old,fit as a lop climbing all over ships
Pop seemed to be about 6 foot 3 wide,solid muscle,I thought you could throw a ship at him and it would glance off him.No chance of knocking him off the ball.
On a sad bitter and twisted note,not like me at all.

Never seen him play,only what I' ve read on here.But somebody called Maquire is nicknamed "The King", Jesus Christ.

Sorry about that.

I remember it well, and in comparison, there was no laughter on the Leeds team bus, just glum, solemn faces.
They'd probably lost the will to live, after taking part in one of Revie's, well documented, team bonding, carpet bowls tournaments, in the team hotel, the night before the Cup final. :rolleyes:
Leeds looked beaten, before they'd even got off the team bus.
That footage of Revie washing them down was, a bit creepy like. Big Jack seemed to be enjoying it far too much.

Wonder why it didn't work out for him at Derby i don't think he was that old when he came. He seemed to sign for us, score a load of goals but after half a season he'd disappeared again. The whole club was in freefall by then after winning the league title twice in the previous 5 years. Scary looking bloke though.

Logon or register to see this image

Just looked it up in my History of Sunderland 1879. ... 1995.Updated and revised by Bob Graham.

Second game of the season Aug 24 1974.

Monty,Malone,Guthrie,Longhorn,Watson,Moncur

Kerr,Hughes,Halom,Robson,Towers.....Sub Belfitt.
Scorers Watson,Hughes,Robson.Crowd34,021.
Sunny day if I remember rightly.

First game of the season was Millwall away,I was there too.4...1, same team Kerr,Hughes,Halom and Towers.
Had a chat to the players after the game outside the dressing room.

Watson that looked such a giant on the pitch seemed so small and skinny.

Pop seemed to be around 5 ft 7.I was ya 6 foot 3 shipyard worker about 22 years old,fit as a lop climbing all over ships
Pop seemed to be about 6 foot 3 wide,solid muscle,I thought you could throw a ship at him and it would glance off him.No chance of knocking him off the ball.
On a sad bitter and twisted note,not like me at all.

Never seen him play,only what I' ve read on here.But somebody called Maquire is nicknamed "The King", Jesus Christ.

Sorry about that.

Aye what a team that was.

Don't remember Ron Guthrie playing for us for long before Joe Bolton took over.
Dick Malone skillful as owt and a liability in equal measures.
Nowt more to be said about Monty.
Dave Watson was immense.
But the backbone of the team Kerr, Hughes, Halom, Porterfield and Tueart.
Mickey Horswill gave everything anarl.
Kin hell man...
And Tony Towers
I think that they were better than the team under Reidy that finished 7th in Div 1 twice.

On a different note, I heard Millwall away that season was interesting...

Last edited:
:):):) Cheers to op for posting that, certainly cheered up a wet Sunday Afternoon, liked no. 3 set up by Gordon Harris (RIP) and Joe Baker(RIP) not a couple of players who get many mentions on here

I had the great pleasure of meeting Bobby Kerr about six months ago and he mentioned that Hughes was seriously ill.

Hopefully he's now made a full recovery - my favourite player from the cup final team.

Wonder why it didn't work out for him at Derby i don't think he was that old when he came. He seemed to sign for us, score a load of goals but after half a season he'd disappeared again. The whole club was in freefall by then after winning the league title twice in the previous 5 years. Scary looking bloke though.

Logon or register to see this image
He's obviously lost some of his pace by the time he went to Derby. He broke his leg Nov 75 and tho he came back to play a part in promotion he wasn't the same dynamic player imho(unsurprisingly)..
Looks like he's carrying a bit of timber on that photo mind.
Just checked on wiki, Billy left us, Sept 77.
I don't think Adamson fancied him as he didn't play much after he took over.
Tbf, he didn't get many in our ill fated 76-77 relegation season when many say we were cheated by Coventry and Bristol City right at the death.
Got 1 v Luton in LC, 1 at Coventry in a rare 2-1 win and a penna at Ipswich in a 3-1 loss.
Shame he didn't get to play in the top tier with a decent team in his early mid 20s like Tueart did as I'm sure he'd have done well.
I understand that he's not in the best of health so I just hope he gets well asap. LEGEND.

Last edited:
I had the great pleasure of meeting Bobby Kerr about six months ago and he mentioned that Hughes was seriously ill.

Hopefully he's now made a full recovery - my favourite player from the cup final team.
Billy’s still not well, but at least he’s back home, I’m sure all our thoughts are with him. One of my all time best players that 73 team never let us down,gave us hope and THE trophy.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's obviously lost some of his pace by the time he went to Derby. He broke his leg Nov 75 and tho he came back to play a part in promotion he wasn't the same dynamic player imho(unsurprisingly)..
Looks like he's carrying a bit of timber on that photo mind.
Just checked on wiki, Billy left us, Sept 77.
I don't think Adamson fancied him as he didn't play much after he took over.
Tbf, he didn't get many in our ill fated 76-77 relegation season when many say we were cheated by Coventry and Bristol City right at the death.
Got 1 v Luton in LC, 1 at Coventry in a rare 2-1 win and a penna at Ipswich in a 3-1 loss.
Shame he didn't get to play in the top tier with a decent team in his early mid 20s like Tueart did as I'm sure he'd have done well.
I understand that he's not in the best of health so I just hope he gets well asap. LEGEND.
Interesting that, didn't realise he'd broken his leg in 1975

Back