Billy Hughes... what a player he was...

Strangely enough for all those outstanding players we failed to go up twice. The 76 team that were champions did not I think feature those players. Tony Towers for my money would be on a par with those lads
Champions of '76 were literally the first team I seen in the flesh, the game v Bolton when we secured promotion was my debut for the lads. Towers was outstanding that day, scored a penalty and ran the show.

A gentleman never tells ;)
Strangely enough for all those outstanding players we failed to go up twice. The 76 team that were champions did not I think feature those players. Tony Towers for my money would be on a par with those lads
Hughesy defo contributed 75-76
And, look at the quality of some of the teams that pipped us, Man Utd, A. Villa even Norwich City
Hughesy defo contributed 75-76
Loved Billy Hughes. I was at the Charlton away game (1975 iirc?) when he broke his leg 😕
Same here.
Supa Mel came on and scored both our goals.

Last edited:
Billy Hughes, is my favourite ever, SAFC player.
I first seen him, at Roker Park, playing against Villa, in 1972, in my first Sunderland game, and I was totally, blown away, by his trickery, sublime skill, movement, and his cockiness.
I was a 9 year old lad, from Hartlepool, and had never seen such a player, in the flesh (I'd only seen Best, and Pele, on the telly) and I was hooked, from the first minute, when he scored, in a 2-2 draw.
As well as his other attributes, I've mentioned above, he also had pace, could head a ball well, was comfortable, shooting with either foot, and he also scored goals too.
He'd leave opposition defenders trailing in his wake, as he beat them for fun, then would turn back, and beat them again, just to show off.
He was amongst a handful of players at that time, who were true maverick's, Best, Marsh, Bowles, Charlie George, Charlie Cook, and our very own, Billy Hughes, the King of Cool
I loved the ground he walked upon.

Sunderland v Millwall 2/2/1974. That was the second ever Sunderland game I ever attended. I was seven years old. Went with my grandad. I have this memory of both of us stood in the Roker End (he was stood, I was perched on one of the barriers). He asked what the score would be that day and I said 4-0 to the lads. I was right with my prediction. That’s all I can remember about the game though. Can’t remember the goals at all.

Aye,one of my favourites,magic player.

Revie thought he was one of the most exciting players in the UK.

Tommy smith in his book says football isn' t dying,two young lads at Sunderland that are coming through are special,Teuart and Hughes.Book was written a long time ago.

Saw him at home against Southampton,got the ball in his own half,up the wing with that strange running style.Came in and then ran along the goal line and put it in the back of the net.

Midweek game against Ipswich ?Gloomy cold night,Billy is playing with9 on his back.Ball comes over,behind him.Just seemed to launch himself,horizontal with the bar,leg comes up and smacks the ball into the bottom corner.How the hell did he do that

Seeing questions with tricky Dicky Malone.

Who's the funniest player you played with.Got to say Billy Hughes,as good as Billy Connoly was Billy.

Hardest working player.Again got to say Billy.For me I think it has been forgotten just how much graft he put in every game.
Certainly a one off Billy,champion and a legend.

Aye,one of my favourites,magic player.

Revie thought he was one of the most exciting players in the UK.

Tommy smith in his book says football isn' t dying,two young lads at Sunderland that are coming through are special,Teuart and Hughes.Book was written a long time ago.

Saw him at home against Southampton,got the ball in his own half,up the wing with that strange running style.Came in and then ran along the goal line and put it in the back of the net.

Midweek game against Ipswich ?Gloomy cold night,Billy is playing with9 on his back.Ball comes over,behind him.Just seemed to launch himself,horizontal with the bar,leg comes up and smacks the ball into the bottom corner.How the hell did he do that

Seeing questions with tricky Dicky Malone.

Who's the funniest player you played with.Got to say Billy Hughes,as good as Billy Connoly was Billy.

Hardest working player.Again got to say Billy.For me I think it has been forgotten just how much graft he put in every game.
Certainly a one off Billy,champion and a legend.
Was that a 3-1 home win v Southampton at the start of the season? About 74-75? Fulwell End?

Don't remember it well, now, but at the time it really stuck in my mind.

Was that a 3-1 home win v Southampton at the start of the season? About 74-75? Fulwell End?

Don't remember it well, now, but at the time it really stuck in my mind.
Aye,that's about what my memory of it is.I think Pop Robson may have got a goal in that game

Somebody passed the ball back to the Southampton goalie,no danger at all,Pop seemed to just grow out of the ground and put it in the back of the net

Another wonderful player and legend that seems to have been forgotten about Pop Robson.

On Cup Final Day, on the bus to Wembley, Billy had a set of laughing false teeth which had everyone in stictches and probably got everyone relaxed. It featured on the prematch build up on Grandstand. Well done Billy.
Playing at Sid James Park and the old Leazes End were all singing "Billy Hughes is a puff" because of his long hair, so Billy put on a mincing walk with one hand on his hip and the other limp wristedly dangling. Even the Maggots were in stitches

Back