Billy Hughes, RIP

Some great comments about Billy from mags in this article..
That's great to see, and fair play to the Mags who posted their condolences and memories of Billy.
At the end of the day, we're a proud & passionate bunch, here in the North East, and have a common love and appreciation of football, and when the death of a club legend occurs, (whether red & white, or black & white) it's refreshing to know, decent people on both sides of the divide, can put their rivalry to one side, and show mutual respect and appreciation of a departed, club legend.

That's great to see, and fair play to the Mags who posted their condolences and memories of Billy.
At the end of the day, we're a proud & passionate bunch, here in the North East, and have a common love and appreciation of football, and when the death of a club legend occurs, (whether red & white, or black & white) it's refreshing to know, decent people on both sides of the divide, can put their rivalry to one side, and show mutual respect and appreciation of a departed, club legend.

Absolutely spot on

Superb post and spot on.
The word Legend gets used wrongly to describe players in this day and age. We all have our favourites from years gone by but as I have posted previously Billy Hughes is a player that gets named on here regularly.
How many players today will be remembered nearly 50 years later?
I think that is the answer. The one player that stands out more than any other in your Semi Final.

My dad took me to my first match v portsmouth in the mid 70s ,must have been about 5/6 yr old..remember being in the fullwell end and seeing him go up for a header from a corner ,straight in the net
first time i'd seen a goal and heard the roar at roker park ,I will never forget it ,
thanks for some great memories Billy
you were a true legend.
R.I.P

Back