Billy Hughes, RIP

Martin Harvey, now Billy. Inevitable of course.

Thank God I got to watch players like that. Imagine in 50 years time if kids of today hear that one of our current squad has died. Who? would be the response.

Never forget that second goal into the Fulwell (Billy's first of the night) against City that amazing night. Rest in peace lad. You were a cracker.

Same here, and still my hero to this day.
I posted on another thread earlier, when a hero of ours dies, part of ourselves, dies too.
A truly sad day, and am not ashamed to say, I shed a few tears today.
My two sporting hero's from a bygone era, are both gone now.
Muhammad Ali and Billy Hughes, both were born entertainers, and both will live forever, in the hearts & memories, of those who idolised them.

I thought it was just me who shed a few tears. I watched the youtube video of him and I couldn't see the end of it.

After this season, you think after 45 years you've stopped caring. Then a club legend dies (and I don't use that term lightly), and you realise how much you love this club. That 73 cup run will always bring tears to my eyes, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Martin Harvey, now Billy. Inevitable of course.

Thank God I got to watch players like that. Imagine in 50 years time if kids of today hear that one of our current squad has died. Who? would be the response.

Never forget that second goal into the Fulwell (Billy's first of the night) against City that amazing night. Rest in peace lad. You were a cracker.
Lest we forget Ian with all due respect.

Not a mention of his death on Football Focus but they took time to mention the death of a Dulwich Hamlet fan who they interviewed a couple of weeks ago at a F.A cup match, sad as that is I thought they would have mentioned Billy also.

Last edited:

Back