Billy Connolly...

Nope, saw him live & cried. Most in there did as well...

..in fact I do it quite a lot, cry with laughter, that is, it's quite common. Do you not?
Erm, no I don't actually start crying, that only really happens where they actually can't control themselves, I've seen Billy Connolly a couple of times, didn't see anyone crying with laughter

I concur. He took British observational humour to a new level when he came on the scene.
I saw him years ago, in Hartlepool.
Me and my mates, had been in a car crash, on the way to an away game, to watch Sunderland, just three days before his show, and a few of my mates had either neck braces on, or arms in plaster, and we just happened to be sittiing in the front row, for Billy's show. :rolleyes:
Needless to say, my incapacitated mates, provided a lot of the material, for his observational humour, that night, as he mercilessly ripped the piss out of them. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Met him (briefly) at Hampden in 2010 at the Ross County v Celtic cup semi. He had a good blether about gigs he's played in the North Highlands, about how hard they graft in that neck of the woods, and that.

He was called away by some Celtic directors so we thanked him for the craic. About five minutes later, he came back over, asking what we wanted to drink. He felt the Celric directors were a bit up themselves so wanted to carry on with our chat.

He was genuinely thrilled for County, even though he's Celtic born and bred. Great comedian and a better bloke.

Met him (briefly) at Hampden in 2010 at the Ross County v Celtic cup semi. He had a good blether about gigs he's played in the North Highlands, about how hard they graft in that neck of the woods, and that.

He was called away by some Celtic directors so we thanked him for the craic. About five minutes later, he came back over, asking what we wanted to drink. He felt the Celric directors were a bit up themselves so wanted to carry on with our chat.

He was genuinely thrilled for County, even though he's Celtic born and bred. Great comedian and a better bloke.

He's a decent working class bloke at heart, it comes through in his humour.
Unlike Michael McIntire (SP), who's just unlikeable.

I've got a theory on comedians, good ones make you smile the minute they walk on the stage - they don't need to say anything. Eric Morcambe, Les Dawson, Connolly, Tommy Cooper from the old school - Micky Flannagan is like that amongst the newer breed of comics.

Last edited:
Saw him at Newcastle City Hall many years ago and he was excellent.
Still nothing comes close to “An audience with”.
Awful condition he’s struggling with.
That was my introduction to Billy Connolly when I watched it every night in The Criterion in Inverness for about a week around 1988.
Then me and Mrs EJK went to see him live at Hammersmith in the early 1990s. A very funny man.
The comedian that disappointed me though was Jim Jeffries. His Netflix specials were the thing of legend especially his ‘gun control’ sketch. Saw him earlier this year and not nearly as funny.

Back