Biggest storm you have found yourself in

On the back of the hurricane that just hit the U.S. what's the biggest storm you have personally witnessed?

Nothing major when I was growing up in SR3, but have seen some epic lightning in Asia.

Last edited:

I remember an epic storm a few years back where the lightning was pretty much non stop. Class to watch.

Watched a storm roll in from distance in Malta last September around 2 in the morning. Again, class to watch.

Got stuck in Orlando in 2011/2012 because of a hurricane which was quite scary, just got pissed at the hotel bar.

Hurricane Irma back in 2017 in Florida. Where we were wasnt as bad as what people thought it would be, though.

An unnamed Typhoon in South Korea. The storm itself wasn’t anything special as such, but the volume of rain was unbelievable. I had to walk from the office onto the module and the construction slab was under ten inches of water after only an hour of intense rain.

Best storm I’ve seen was from a plane from Chennai to Japan. It was in the distance, but proper movie scene spectacle with deep fluffy clouds being illuminated in the night by lightning. Brilliant to see.

I missed the 87 storm too, I was in Norway and we caught the tail end of it. Still it was entertaining watching a grown man crawl across a bridge on all fours.

I was up in the north-east when the 87 storm happened, but my mam and dad were still living down in rural Kent. They had five days without power. I went down to see them a week or so after, and it was astonishing: the landscape had changed. Entire stands and copses of trees down. Views across valleys where there hadn't been views before. Trunk after trunk after trunk lying across every field. You'd think a bomb had been dropped.

Logon or register to see this image

The tail end of Hurricane Charley hit Wales in 1986. We were camping right on the exposed coast and got the full brunt of it. The site owner left the bar and games hut open and people were just throwing their belongings in there. The tent pegs and guy ropes all washed out so the rain was coming in under the canvas and my parents were hanging onto the tent frame to stop it taking off. They could hear others screaming as tents went, but there was nothing they could do to help them. The site was a mess the next morning with damaged tents and belongings strewn across the field. We were supposed to be heading further south for a second week, but all the sleeping bags and everything were soaked through, so we just packed up and went home.

There was a huge electric storm in Croatia this summer. One of those days where you could feel it building all day and we could see it forming out at sea. The hotel had a lounge bar with floor to ceiling windows all along and a tiled terrace bar outside. There was a formal garden that led down to the beach. If you walked along a bit, there was a strip of land that stuck out into the sea about 10 metres across and it felt like you were way out to sea when you were on the end of it. We used to go there to watch the sunsets.

Once it got dark, the storm was really kicking off at sea, so we decided to walk along to the sticky out bit of land and watch it. I suddenly realised the storm was getting closer at an alarming rate, so thought it best to go back to the hotel. As we started to walk back, it started spitting on to rain, so we picked the pace up. As we approached the hotel, the heavens literally opened. I had a skater dress and sandals on that I couldn't run in, so I whipped the sandals off and was running in my bare feet. We ran through the garden and I noticed the lounge bar was full of people watching me running like a drowned rat. As I got to the now soaking wet tiles on the terrace and as I was running at speed, my feet hit the tiles and just shot out from under me. I ended up flat on my back with my legs in the air, sliding along the terrace flashing my knickers at everyone in the lounge bar. Ended up with an egg on the back of my head, two badly bruised elbows and bruising around my lower back :oops:

Had some decent typhoons when I lived in Hong Kong,and been in a couple in the Philippines and a few other places,nature is savage.

Had some decent typhoons when I lived in Hong Kong,and been in a couple in the Philippines and a few other places,nature is savage.
The worst one I was in a Catmaran from Cebu to Panglao in the middle of the ocean for 4 hours. Over 2 hours of that was a storm. Nowhere to hide, getting absolutely pelted with rain (hit like hail) and seeing the lightning and thunder. The engine of the boat stopped at one point.

Was fucked up.

The worst one I was in a Catmaran from Cebu to Panglao in the middle of the ocean for 4 hours. Over 2 hours of that was a storm. Nowhere to hide, getting absolutely pelted with rain (hit like hail) and seeing the lightning and thunder. The engine of the boat stopped at one point.

Was fucked up.
Panglao is nice,yup they get some storms out thataway.

I’ve been caught out at sea on the sea cat to Dublin. Everything falling off the shelves in the duty free. Looking out the window and it was like being in the film the perfect storm.

Back