Biggest musical regrets?

Was going to see Nirvana in Birmingham but was young n daft and just didnt bother thinking al see them another time, but alas Kurt had other ideas :(

Listening to the Fall on 6 Music. I always meant to see them, could have but left it too late. In the past I got tickets to see Lou Reed and Chuck Berry in Newcastle but they both cancelled - at least I tried. With the Fall I was just too lazy. And they were a great band. Anyone you regret not seeing?

James brown- had the chance to go when he was in the sage and sacked it off- he was dead not long after

Sitting in the bar on two occasions, while a support band played, once at the City Hall in October 1979 supporting the Buzzcocks, the other at the Rainbow in London in April 1980 supporting The Stranglers (and Friends minus Hugh Cornwell)
Joy Division were the support band

Other than that I probably saw everyone that I wanted to see and in most of their heydays - only regret is that I was too young to see the Beatles and the Doors
Had the chance of a ticket for Live Aid at Wembley, was in the RAF at the time, came home for the weekend instead, gutted
Also never went to see The Jam, was still in school but a lad in my class went, think I was in the 4th year, he was a foot taller and had had a beard since the 2nd year so he looked a lot older 😕
I went to Live Aid, courtesy of my brother, who bought tickets for me and my then bird as a 21st birthday present for me - He didn't bother getting tickets for himself because he wasn't sure if anyone worthwhile would end up doing the gig ;)

Last edited:
The Stone Roses at Whitley Bay. I went on holiday the day the tickets went on sale and then the night of the gig (which I probably would have been able to get a ticket off a tout) I couldn't be arsed to go up
I got ticket number 1 for this one. Still got it in a shoebox. Got there a few hours early expecting a massive queue and I was first one there.

Finding out that Joe Strummer had done a gig the previous night - 5 minutes from where I was living - and that Mick Jones had appeared on stage with him for the first time in over 15 years. And I'd missed it. But I thought it was a good sign and hopefully I'll get to see them next time. Then about 2 weeks Joe Strummer died.

Going to see Chess, The Musical with the wife a few years ago in London.
I still haven't let her forget that she put me through that. Seriously considered pulling the fire alarm just to get out early. Worst of all it was right at the end of the season as well.

Nothing much against musicals as a genre.... but Chess... that was painful. Would rather have watched an actual game of chess.

I've never forgiven myself for leaving a My Bloody Valentine gig in Newcastle early to catch my metro/bus connections to Boldon. They were very late on stage (11pm) so I only saw around 10-15 minutes. As I was walking away I could hear my favourite music blasting out. They were always loud. Still gutted but I did see them at Whitley Bay Ice Rink in 92 and when they reformed years later at Manchester.

Back