Big ship on the river

Went on a walk along the coastal footpath from Latimers to Whitburn/Souter lighthouse on Saturday and you could see it from up there sticking out on the skyline.

f***ing skimmers.
There once was a lad called Alladin
Who had a magic Lamp
He stole it off a Matelot who was fathoms up a tramp
He stole it off a Matelot to see what he could get
And he rubbbed and rubbed and rubbed and rubbed
But he ain't got Fuck all yet

La de da fiddle dee
60 annas equals one rupee
feed of arse up a sycamore tree
poor bugger Janner

The Sultan saidf to Alladin
my palace you will paint
Alladin like a big OD said - No I fuckin aint
So he armed himself with a paintbrush and a pot of black enamel
and he shoved it up the Arsehole of the sultan's favourite camel

And we'll all go back to Oggie land (where's that)
to Oggie land (where's that )
To Oggieland
And we'll all go back to Oggie land
Where they cant tell ???? from tissue paper tissue paper marmalade and jam

It's a jack up rig, surely everyone on this board knows what one is after the Xcite Energy jack up rig was followed on maritime GPS tracking sites every inch of its journey halfway around the world

A google search also throws up the theory that if a boat turns right it will lean (or whatever the nautical term for leaning is, bank or pitch or something) to the right, when a ship turns to the right it will lean to the left. Is this right?

Basically yes.
A lot to do with size, keel design, rudders etc.

A google search also throws up the theory that if a boat turns right it will lean (or whatever the nautical term for leaning is, bank or pitch or something) to the right, when a ship turns to the right it will lean to the left. Is this right?

Mostly but not necessarily. When a ship does a steady turn it will generally heel outwards. When the rudder is initially put over the force acting through the rudder acts instantly, before the force acting through the hull has a chance to build up. This can cause the ship to heel inwards. Then the hull force overtakes that of the rudder and the ship heels outwards. If the rudder angle is suddenly taken off at the point of changeover then the angle of heel can become excessive and potentially dangerous. I've got the maths for it on Powerpoint but it's dull unless you like Nav Arch.

Other ship / boat considerations? Size. Areas of trade. Boats usually in sheltered/close-in/harbour waters and canals. Ships generally built for international or deep-sea trade. Class I / II classification. Ships require a freeboard deck (continuous deck capable of being made watertight) for the preservation of reserve buoyancy. Plimsoll and Deck line markings. Boats may only require Seawater and Freshwater load markings to reflect density difference between the two. When a ship sinks you get into a boat. When a boat sinks you get into the water. Boats mostly regarded as pleasure craft. No hard and fast rules though as both categories overlap each other and the only real cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

No definitive answer of Boat v Ship though.

Last edited:

Back