Big Jack Charlton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class? Win every game 1-0 with goals from corners, rebounds and knock downs.
To be fair I don't think I've seen a team have promotion wrapped up so early before or since. A few years later Big Jack had his own TV show called something like "Coaching with Jack Charlton". My first experience of Ayresome Park was the 75 FA Cup game. Boro had a good side with Souness and Murdoch pulling the strings in midfield and the flyers Mills and Armstrong in attack - Stuart Boam and Willie Maddren were strong at the back. Those names will mean nothing to many nowadays, but will resonate strongly with any fans of northeast footy in the 70s and older Boro fans.

Over 39000 for that cup game back in 1975.

To be fair I don't think I've seen a team have promotion wrapped up so early before or since. A few years later Big Jack had his own TV show called something like "Coaching with Jack Charlton". My first experience of Ayresome Park was the 75 FA Cup game. Boro had a good side with Souness and Murdoch pulling the strings in midfield and the flyers Mills and Armstrong in attack - Stuart Boam and Willie Maddren were strong at the back. Those names will mean nothing to many nowadays, but will resonate strongly with any fans of northeast footy in the 70s and older Boro fans.

I'm probably thinking of early 70's.

yes i was there both teams in away strips.dried mud pitch.happy days

A flyer? ~ I'm faster than him now and I'm only 10 years younger than Jack Charlton :confused:
Well they appeared to be like lightning on the attack - bear in mind I was only just turned 10 but to me Hickton, Mills and Armstrong seemed much quicker than ours when supplied by Murdoch and Souness. Anyway, I recall they absolutely walked that division even though my dad insisted they kicked their way to the title.

great old school show. i sent an email to bbc store but was told that unlikely to be released. have to make do with the youtube stuff but they are all over the place with the order of shows

Disappointed to see that the BBC Store is to be shut down in November.

I was hoping that all the old MOTDs from the 70s would be available on it one day...

Well they appeared to be like lightning on the attack - bear in mind I was only just turned 10 but to me Hickton, Mills and Armstrong seemed much quicker than ours when supplied by Murdoch and Souness. Anyway, I recall they absolutely walked that division even though my dad insisted they kicked their way to the title.
your Da was spot on. Armstrong (David) was a midfielder, btw. Slow as they come. Unless you're thinking of a different Armstrong ~ a lot of them about :D

your Da was spot on. Armstrong (David) was a midfielder, btw. Slow as they come. Unless you're thinking of a different Armstrong ~ a lot of them about :D
mills was quick.hickton and armstrong werent.the flying pig foggon was deceptively quick.
mills won 2 pens iirc

Disappointed to see that the BBC Store is to be shut down in November.

I was hoping that all the old MOTDs from the 70s would be available on it one day...
indeed, just read that. I did buy a DVD though from the bbc store about match of the day 70s, 80 and 90s a while back

could be still on amazon

Probably, I remember Mills and Hickton on the halfway line just waiting for Murdoch and Souness - remember that fa cup game where they caught us like that and won two pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back