Big Harry Dodds RIP

RIP. Where was Harry from ?
Harry was from Gateshead.
I first met Harry whilst we both worked at Thorn Heating in Barley Mow, and so began a near 50 year friendship based on our love for this crazy football club and the England cricket team. We used to stand in the Fulwell End corner with, among others, Brian and Karl Graham, Davy and Tommy Willis and Joe, David and Kevin Hughes. When we moved to The Stadium of Light me and Harry ended up in the North East Corner, pre match drinks moved from The Mill View Club to The Sun Inn where we met Kev Mckenna and Mick Pitt.
Harry stopped going to the match about 10 years ago due to problems with his walking, and he spent his last 3 years in The Chesters Care Home on Low Fell. I last saw Harry the day before he died, he was in quite a restless state with infection but as soon as he heard my voice he said "Hello David, whats happened to wor football team". Red and white till the end.
Big Harry Dodds 1941-2024 RIP MY FRIEND

I first met Harry whilst we both worked at Thorn Heating in Barley Mow, and so began a near 50 year friendship based on our love for this crazy football club and the England cricket team. We used to stand in the Fulwell End corner with, among others, Brian and Karl Graham, Davy and Tommy Willis and Joe, David and Kevin Hughes. When we moved to The Stadium of Light me and Harry ended up in the North East Corner, pre match drinks moved from The Mill View Club to The Sun Inn where we met Kev Mckenna and Mick Pitt.
Harry stopped going to the match about 10 years ago due to problems with his walking, and he spent his last 3 years in The Chesters Care Home on Low Fell. I last saw Harry the day before he died, he was in quite a restless state with infection but as soon as he heard my voice he said "Hello David, whats happened to wor football team". Red and white till the end.
RIP Harry.

Roar us on from up there .

Harry sounds like he was a cracking lad and a real Sunderland man and he obviously really enjoyed meeting you lads when he was fitter pre match. Again condolences to his family and you and all the friends he had. I used to be active in Houghton SAFCSA in 70’s before moving away. We used to visit the Gateshead Branch in the Ex Servicemen’s Club near the Five Bridges so I could possibly have met him.
RIP Big Harry.

Nice story.

Back