Big Bang Theory to end.

Jim Parsons has commented that he read a memoir of someone with Aspergers and it rang true with Sheldon's character. I've got two boys with Aspergers and in my opinion he absolutely is but they're also right that it doesn't need to be labelled. My youngest in particular loves that there's someone he sees as being like him on tv, and I've often used it to show that even though he's like them, he can manage on his own, live on his own. I think in that respect it's very positive. It does annoy me when I've seen things talking about them 'curing his autism' as the series has went on. I think it's been pretty accurate, his friends for the most part actually do help him when he doesn't understand sarcasm etc and you see that progress as it goes on just like I see it personally with my kids. They adapt.

Oh and on the using it for humour, sometimes it is hilarious having this stuff around you. I've never watched it and thought any of it was cruel or malicious with it.

I can empathise with anyone suffering from Asperger’s or caring for them. You sound like a great parent, your kids are lucky! Having a parent or carer who knows how Asperger’s works is a huge part of dealing with the condition.

I can see a lot of myself in Sheldon.

If Asperger’s had been recognised back when I was a kid, It’s certain I’d have been diagnosed as having it. I was almost tested a few years back, but warned off by my psychiatrist. I had an awful time trying to fit in during my school years, just ‘different’ to everyone else. It was pure torture, I didn’t understand why I seemed to scare people away, then ended up being seriously mentally bullied. I was also targeted for sexual abuse, which I’ve mentioned in other threads.

I’m so glad Asperger’s is recognised and dealt with these days, I know how much I suffered and how vulnerable I was, with no help whatsoever to deal with it. I’ve sort of learned to self manage the problem, but sadly that means I trust no-one and find it very difficult to form friendships. If you keep people at a distance, they can’t hurt you...

It’s a tough condition to have. People can be exceptionally cruel and thoughtless.

I can empathise with anyone suffering from Asperger’s or caring for them. You sound like a great parent, your kids are lucky! Having a parent or carer who knows how Asperger’s works is a huge part of dealing with the condition.

If Asperger’s had been recognised back when I was a kid, It’s certain I’d have been diagnosed as having it. I was almost tested a few years back, but warned off by my psychiatrist. I had an awful time trying to fit in during my school years, just ‘different’ to everyone else. It was pure torture, I didn’t understand why I seemed to scare people away, then ended up being seriously mentally bullied. I was also targeted for sexual abuse, which I’ve mentioned in other threads.

I’m so glad Asperger’s is recognised and dealt with these days, I know how much I suffered and how vulnerable I was, with no help whatsoever to deal with it. I’ve sort of learned to self manage the problem, but sadly that means I trust no-one and find it very difficult to form friendships. If you keep people at a distance, they can’t hurt you...

It’s a tough condition to have. People can be exceptionally cruel and thoughtless.

Great post. In the main Big Bang is just a daft mainstream show but it is quite good on the topic of people with (let’s call them) issues which affect them in their daily life and dealing with that on an ongoing basis. Mostly frivolous but it is quite relatable, whether you have any form of OCD, anxiety, Aspergers or maybe nothing that can actually given a name but made you feel like you don’t fit in.

The show itself was always going to have a shelf life because it was about four young guys who are huge geeks and can’t talk to women. They’re not young any more and they’re all balls deep, but they’re still geeks so they only have a third of a show now.

Great post. In the main Big Bang is just a daft mainstream show but it is quite good on the topic of people with (let’s call them) issues which affect them in their daily life and dealing with that on an ongoing basis. Mostly frivolous but it is quite relatable, whether you have any form of OCD, anxiety, Aspergers or maybe nothing that can actually given a name but made you feel like you don’t fit in.

The show itself was always going to have a shelf life because it was about four young guys who are huge geeks and can’t talk to women. They’re not young any more and they’re all balls deep, but they’re still geeks so they only have a third of a show now.

Cheers! I didn’t intend to post all that, tbh, it just sort of poured out.:oops:

I absolute love TBBT, but like always happens with me, I bought the boxed set, stopped watching the series on TV, and haven’t even opened the boxed set...

So I’ve bought the damn thing, and haven’t watched the programme at all for about 18 months, when I was watching it obsessively before.
Daft get. :rolleyes:

Cheers! I didn’t intend to post all that, tbh, it just sort of poured out.:oops:

I absolute love TBBT, but like always happens with me, I bought the boxed set, stopped watching the series on TV, and haven’t even opened the boxed set...

So I’ve bought the damn thing, and haven’t watched the programme at all for about 18 months, when I was watching it obsessively before.
Daft get. :rolleyes:

If you've got Netflix, the first 11 seasons are on there. I just binge watched them all this month.

There's still a hell of a long way to go with it all, it's a bloody awful thing that I always use the word 'battle' about getting the things my boys should have. The amount of times I've had to argue with local authorities and appeal decisions is ridiculous, especially as I have Bipolar and suffer from massive anxiety myself. I'm even having to go to a tribunal in a few weeks at court to fight for my eldest to get PIP, he had an indefinite DLA award and when they swapped him over to the new system they took it away completely. It's outrageous.

I'm sorry you've had such a tough time with it, daft as it sounds if i can help with anything just yell.

Back to TBBT, I am particularly enjoying the Young Sheldon spin off too. I can definitely see my boys in the younger version of him!

Back