Beyond a Steel Sky

SAFC_Jack

Striker
Revolution follow up to Beneath a Steel Sky, coming out this year on PC, Console and the new Apple Aracde thing.

Not point and click like the first one, so interested to see how it goes. Seems to have taken influence from these wandering about adventure games you get. The first was a good setting and I liked the 1984 style themes so interested to see how it goes!

Inside ‘Beyond a Steel Sky,’ the ‘Beneath a Steel Sky’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)

Wow, that's a blast from the past.

Not surprised you'd remember it given your avatar.

. .while the original’s cyperpunk point-and-click puzzle-solving has fallen out of favor in the intervening decades...
I'm not convinced an old school point and click wouldn't sell well tbh. You wouldn't sell Fifa units but it's hardly a saturated genre.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a blast from the past.

Not surprised you'd remember it given your avatar.

I'm not convinced an old school point and click wouldn't sell well tbh. You wouldn't sell Fifa units but it's hardly a saturated genre.

Still a market for it for me like, particularly in the smart phone and tablet market. Would prefer a point and click but doesn’t mean it won’t be canny.

Revolution follow up to Beneath a Steel Sky, coming out this year on PC, Console and the new Apple Aracde thing.

Not point and click like the first one, so interested to see how it goes. Seems to have taken influence from these wandering about adventure games you get. The first was a good setting and I liked the 1984 style themes so interested to see how it goes!

Inside ‘Beyond a Steel Sky,’ the ‘Beneath a Steel Sky’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
Cheers for the heads up. Loved Beneath a Steel Sky as a kid (though it was quite hard for a point & click iirc) - sure I ended up getting a guide for it.

Still a market for it for me like, particularly in the smart phone and tablet market. Would prefer a point and click but doesn’t mean it won’t be canny.
Grim Fandando was the last 'proper' point and click (though you actually moved the character about) that I played & i'd love to play more games like it.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Problem with point and click games is you often ended up using every object on everything to move on. Discworld was rank for that iirc.

Discworld was horrendously obtuse iirc. Most try to keep it fairly logical.

Cheers for the heads up. Loved Beneath a Steel Sky as a kid (though it was quite hard for a point & click iirc) - sure I ended up getting a guide for it.

Grim Fandando was the last 'proper' point and click (though you actually moved the character about) that I played & i'd love to play more games like it.

Any recommendations?

BASS is free online like if you wanted to give it another whirl. Loads of the classics available as well that have been remastered or re-released including Grim Fandango.

Thimbleweed Park is good, setup as an old school point and click like Monkey Island/Maniac Mansion, but in a Twin Peaks sort of setting.

Broken Sword 5 (all the Broken Swords are a must for me if you’re into the genre or haven’t played them).

Technobabylon was good, old school graphics but interesting.

The Black Mirror series was canny anarl, there’s three of them (2 and 3 are a separate story though in the same universe as 1).

Depends what you’re into really! All sorts our there.

Last edited:
Installed Beneath a Steel Sky again last night. Still fun :D

Managed to kill myself by opening the door to a reactor whilst stood in front of it (ah the days when you could die in a point & click) :lol:

Discworld was horrendously obtuse iirc. Most try to keep it fairly logical.

BASS is free online like if you wanted to give it another whirl. Loads of the classics available as well that have been remastered or re-released including Grim Fandango.

Thimbleweed Park is good, setup as an old school point and click like Monkey Island/Maniac Mansion, but in a Twin Peaks sort of setting.

Broken Sword 5 (all the Broken Swords are a must for me if you’re into the genre or haven’t played them).

Technobabylon was good, old school graphics but interesting.

The Black Mirror series was canny anarl, there’s three of them (2 and 3 are a separate story though in the same universe as 1).

Depends what you’re into really! All sorts our there.

I did play a few Broken Sword games; though my memory of them is crap, so they'd be like playing new games again.

Thimbleweed Park looks good - might get that too.

Looks similar to Day of the Tentacle / Sam & Max (is it made by the same people?)

Last edited:
Installed Beneath a Steel Sky again last night. Still fun :D

Managed to kill myself by opening the door to a reactor whilst stood in front of it (ah the days when you could die in a point & click) :lol:

I did play a few Broken Sword games; though my memory of them is crap, so they'd be like playing new games again.

Thimbleweed Park looks good - might get that too.

Looks similar to Day of the Tentacle / Sam & Max (is it made by the same people?)

You can die loads in BASS like :lol:

Aye it was made by Ron Gilbert who made Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island etc.

Bit of a bump, but this was released on the 16th of July. I've just started playing it yesterday and have put about 4 hours into it.

It's got a good nostalgic feel about it, with nice graphics.

Haven’t got it yet, was waiting for a console release but hasn’t been much talk about it.

I completed it today, took me about 9 hours. It's not as good as the original, and there's a few bugs/annoying things but I still enjoyed it, even if it got a bit flat towards the end. It ties up the story though.

I completed it today, took me about 9 hours. It's not as good as the original, and there's a few bugs/annoying things but I still enjoyed it, even if it got a bit flat towards the end. It ties up the story though.

Aye, they said there’s a few things to iron out - what was it like from a puzzle perspective?

Back