Best team performance of 2019

He worked hard, but we need more from our wide players in this system. I think we are improving though. I think Ross finally has the sort of player he wants to play up front - and thought he was buying in Grigg. Even when we had Maja, I don't think Ross was that happy because he was quite static. McNulty is exactly what he wants. Hope his injury isn't serious.
I don't think Ross ever had a great deal of say in the Grigg deal.

As for Gooch - I just wish he'd get his head up. There was one moment however in the second half when he had the chance to put his head down and really break against them and the daft bugger stopped and looked for a pass. :rolleyes::lol:

Last edited:

Despite missing the first quarter of an hour due to a crash on the A19, and their goal being an utter shambles, I was quite happy with the majority of our play on Saturday, and I struggle to recall a better performance this calendar year. I thought Power and Leadbitter were for the most part excellent, and should be our first choice pairing going forward. Been impressed with McNulty's endeavour so far, was excellent for the goal, so was a shame to see him go off, but I was pleased to see Wyke have a good game as well when he came on (that daft run where he lost the ball in our half aside).

Most pleasing was Ross reverting to a back four. Silly mistakes aside we looked a much better unit, and I thought Ozturk and Willis complimented each other quite well. McLaughlin struggled at times but to be fair he was out of position, same goes for O'Nien. Hopefully we do get a proper left back in and we can have a proper look at McLaughlin on the right (would it be too much to ask for another option at right back - probably).

Would have been nice to get the third goal when we were applying pressure in the second half - we played some nice football in that 15 minutes or so. Being us I thought we might pay the price but never mind, we saw it through.

Rambling a bit, but all in all a good win, fully deserved, and credit where it's due Ross got it right on Saturday. What a difference a win makes, but I'm even looking forward to watching the match tomorrow night now, and gutted I'm missing Saturday's game - been a while since I felt like that.

I agree with all that except Dobson should be in the team. Thought it was a poor decision to drop him entirely. Him alongside Power for me.

The best performance in 2019 was against Doncaster when we won 2-0. There were positives from Saturday though, mainly those listed by the OP. The key now is to somehow stick to a system and a team that works and build on it. Ross's biggest error has been to lose his nerve too easily and go from system to system and never have a settled team or shape.

This.

I was also buzzing how we managed to overcome pompey over 2 legs in the play offs only for the poor showing vs Charlton at Wembley to taint the whole memory.

Pompey weren't up to much in the 2nd leg but we closed it out brilliantly.

Back