Best Sunday carvery in and around Sunderland

If your margin is good you either have a good grip on your costs, a strong price or most likely a good bit of both

You should be looking for 4X cost of ingredients, but without volume the jobs off, no good have a kitchen team earning a combined 100k a year if your only selling 200 meals a week.

You should be looking for 4X cost of ingredients, but without volume the jobs off, no good have a kitchen team earning a combined 100k a year if your only selling 200 meals a week.

Fair enough, I was talking margin in terms of the overall business, not plate by plate. I’d hate to run a restaurant these days, everyone wants someone for nowt

Went to the Ramside the other day on my own( as one of my lads was having away day golf) Anyway was starving went into carvery area( v nice)..asked how much 8.99 for carvery(greedily got two meats.. Much veg and roasties..salad whatever you want( or both)...then deserrt ( big choice of lovely cakes etc ) took my plate through conservatory into garden area ( fab) couldnt fault quality, quantity setting ect.it was in afternoon( so maybe cheaper) but top class value and great service...went back to golf clubhouse to meet my lad where someone said they had bought a toasted sarni for nearly six quid ...i kna where the value is ...doubt there can be many better and i would recommend venue product service ect....big sam clearly knew his stuff(ing)
Mind just read title of thread( wasnt a sunda but is on every day)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough, I was talking margin in terms of the overall business, not plate by plate. I’d hate to run a restaurant these days, everyone wants someone for nowt

Very true, Groupon etc have certainly not helped, large % of people just chase special offers these days. There is a major lack of understand in terms of why restaurants charge what they do, most restaurants aim to make 10% profit so for a £20 meal they want £2 left and then pay corporation tax from that (if they are lucky enough to make a profit).

Very true, Groupon etc have certainly not helped, large % of people just chase special offers these days. There is a major lack of understand in terms of why restaurants charge what they do, most restaurants aim to make 10% profit so for a £20 meal they want £2 left and then pay corporation tax from that (if they are lucky enough to make a profit).

The problem is epitomised by people being cheap shite from takeaways and then going nuts on Facebook because it wasn’t spot on

10%, what’s the point.

Why would you even go into that end of the market knowing that.

That said, Jamie’s Italian need 3000 covers a week (average) to turn a profit. That’s insane.

10%, what’s the point.

That said, Jamie’s Italian need 3000 covers a week (average) to turn a profit. That’s insane.

I’d look at groupon as cheap marketing. It gets people in buying drinks who wouldn’t otherwise of turned up. If you put on a good show you might get repeat business at full price. Jamie’s must have mental overheads from what I’ve seen. Top end rents and the fit out will cost a bomb.

I’d look at groupon as cheap marketing. It gets people in buying drinks who wouldn’t otherwise of turned up. If you put on a good show you might get repeat business at full price. Jamie’s must have mental overheads from what I’ve seen. Top end rents and the fit out will cost a bomb.
Of course, that number is staggering though.

Who even still uses Groupon shite.

10%, what’s the point.

If you can make 10% of turnover then I see the attraction, somewhere turning 20k a week, that’s 2k mins corporation tax, as a sole independant operator that’s ok. I know chains that turn 100k per week per site. BUT ask most operators and they are not turning those numbers and not seeing 10%.

Indeed 3000 covers a week is mental. I use to work in a place in Newcastle who’s break even point was 30k a week the owner was demented.

If you can make 10% of turnover then I see the attraction, somewhere turning 20k a week, that’s 2k mins corporation tax, as a sole independant operator that’s ok. I know chains that turn 100k per week per site. BUT ask most operators and they are not turning those numbers and not seeing 10%.

Indeed 3000 covers a week is mental. I use to work in a place in Newcastle who’s break even point was 30k a week the owner was demented.
Bet there’s not a restaurant in Sunderland does that sort of money.

Bet there’s not a restaurant in Sunderland does that sort of money.
I used to run a supermarket restaurant in Durham that used to take over £20k a week, every week. Over £1million a year.
I was talking to a bloke who owned a successful restaurant in Boston USA, he couldn't believe some of the figures we dealt with in terms of customers and meals, then being expected to get the food on the table in 10minutes.

I used to run a supermarket restaurant in Durham that used to take over £20k a week, every week. Over £1million a year.
I was talking to a bloke who owned a successful restaurant in Boston USA, he couldn't believe some of the figures we dealt with in terms of customers and meals, then being expected to get the food on the table in 10minutes.

Always rammed with pensioners those places. Must do loads of covers over the course of a day, 7 days a week.

That was a very busy cafe / restaurant then.

Morrison’s Seaburn take 5k on an airshow day, half that normally. A hell of a lot of food served but never 1 mill a year.

Certainly not saying it’s imposdible but not a single independent will be taking that sort of cash in Sunderland IMO.

Back