Best Sunday carvery in and around Sunderland

The only difference between a carvery and a roast served to your table is that the veg etc isn’t on show when you buy a roast served to your table, it’s pre cooked and kept warm in the kitchen. Unless you are paying decent money they don’t cook veg and meat to order.

Jesmond Dene House does Sunday lunch. Danny Parker who was until 2 weeks ago head chef at House Of Tides is now their head chef is now in charge. He will be wanting to take that to another level. Would be interesting to try theirs before it goes full on tasting menu.

The only difference between a carvery and a roast served to your table is that the veg etc isn’t on show when you buy a roast served to your table, it’s pre cooked and kept warm in the kitchen. Unless you are paying decent money they don’t cook veg and meat to order.

This. And if it’s served to your table you get a load of stuff that you don’t want, interspersed with the stuff that you do want. I would always prefer a carvery unless you can specify in minute detail exactly what you want on your plate.

This. And if it’s served to your table you get a load of stuff that you don’t want, interspersed with the stuff that you do want. I would always prefer a carvery unless you can specify in minute detail exactly what you want on your plate.
You’re wrong. There’s ways and means of keeping veg rather than carvery shit.

Love a carvery me like, The Brittania at Cleadon is mega busy and lovely but the popularity of such a place makes the SMB snobs sneer.

You’re wrong. There’s ways and means of keeping veg rather than carvery shit.

There are places that will do a better job of it. But if you pay 8 quid for a roast delivered to your table it’s essentially the same, everything will be kept warm in big piles in the kitchen. You get what you pay for usually

Whatever.
It’s true. You don’t fully cook your greens they go in at the last minute. Par cook, Blanche in cold water than serve to order. If you roast potatoes and whole carrots you can keep them warm and they’re no different 20 minutes later. If you’re staff know what they’re doing outside you can keep it ticking over.

There are places that will do a better job of it. But if you pay 8 quid for a roast delivered to your table it’s essentially the same, everything will be kept warm in big piles in the kitchen. You get what you pay for usually
£8 sit down will be shit. No self respecting place would give you a freshly cooked Sunday roast for that.

It’s true. You don’t fully cook your greens they go in at the last minute. Par cook, Blanche in cold water than serve to order. If you roast potatoes and whole carrots you can keep them warm and they’re no different 20 minutes later. If you’re staff know what they’re doing outside you can keep it ticking over.

£8 sit down will be shit. No self respecting place would give you a freshly cooked Sunday roast for that.

Probably yeah. Even If you spend double that it still won’t be cooked to order in the main, the meat, potatoes and Yorkies will be pre made. They might knock up some fresh veg but I doubt it. Just better prep, ingredients, techniques and storage of the cooked food. Perhaps smaller batches over the course of the service.

Probably yeah. Even If you spend double that it still won’t be cooked to order in the main, the meat, potatoes and Yorkies will be pre made. They might knock up some fresh veg but I doubt it. Just better prep, ingredients, techniques and storage of the cooked food. Perhaps smaller batches over the course of the service.
It is. My lass works in hospitality across lots of bars in Newcastle and I’ve seen how they do it. If you go to any of the places I’ve said you will wait for your food but you’ll get fresh veg with every meal. 21 group particularly. You can’t serve per table no problem. It’s bollocks that it just sits like.

It is. My lass works in hospitality across lots of bars in Newcastle and I’ve seen how they do it. If you go to any of the places I’ve said you will wait for your food but you’ll get fresh veg with every meal. 21 group particularly. You can’t serve per table no problem. It’s bollocks that it just sits like.

Yes the veg could be fresh if you are paying top dollar but the meat roasties, gravy and yorkies physically can’t be which are the key elements of the dish imo.

Yes the veg could be fresh if you are paying top dollar but the meat roasties, gravy and yorkies physically can’t be which are the key elements of the dish imo.
Everything aside from the meat can be done between ordering a starter and having your main.

Meat tastes better the longer it’s stood.

They can. They’re the easiest things to keep out of the whole thing. Cover your gravy and keep your Yorkshire puddings out of the direct heat but ventilated and they’ll keep for ages.

Back