Best stuff to kill off a tree stump .

Gonna tackle two large trees tomorrow that has roots starting to lift up my path. They are lovely but worried it will start gannin under my house as they are only about 2 meters from my main entrance.

Gonna try the drilling holes into the base of the trees and pouring in roundup and salt.

Drill holes, as big and deep as you can down into the stump, then fill with Epsom salts.
I did this with two annoying trees and worked a treat.

Drill holes, as big and deep as you can down into the stump, then fill with Epsom salts.
I did this with two annoying trees and worked a treat.
Nice one.

I can't get Epsom salts here in bulgy so I've bought loads of rock salt.
I feel terrible trying to kill it but the roots are now starting to affect my property and I have little offshoots growing everywhere.

Will this method kill the roots quickly?

Read up about it but can't seem to find a desisive answer

Last edited:
Nice one.

I can't get Epsom salts here in bulgy so I've bought loads of rock salt.
I feel terrible trying to kill it but the roots are now starting to affect my property and I have little offshoots growing everywhere.

Will this method kill the roots quickly?

Read up about it but can't seem to find a desisive answer
I don’t know, but I was told specifically that it had to be Epsom salts, don’t know what is special about it’s composition, but it worked.
I got mine from a pharmacist/chemist if that helps?

found this, if it helps?

Last edited:
I don’t know, but I was told specifically that it had to be Epsom salts, don’t know what is special about it’s composition, but it worked.
I got mine from a pharmacist/chemist if that helps?

found this, if it helps?

Thank you.

I've dug a few out over the years when I was young and daft - particularly mature hawthorn and sycamore. And more recently I paid a bloke to do a large sycamore stump with a grinder. I know which I prefer.

Back