Best sci-fi book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gone from only reading ‘real crime’ and thrillers to Science-fiction of late.

Daemon - Daniel Suarez (read all of his now)
Waking Gods - Sylvain Neuvel
Dark Matter - Blake Crouch
Plus books by Ernest Cline and Patrick Lee

Am I missing anything in this genre? Loved Aldous Huxley and Ray Bradbury when I was young but thought Sci-fi had gone a bit too geeky but there are some brilliantly written, innovative books out there.

The Bible has got to be up there like

series fluctuates massively in quality - then takes a nosedive with the Brian Herbert / Kevin J Anderson books

Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton is really good (but meaty, 3 giant paperbacks)

but heres one to avoid - Kevin J Anderson (again) and his Saga of the Seven Suns, starts poorly and gets worse from there

First one is flawless.

The Expanse series of 6 books and there's 2 seasons of it on TV. Book 7 due December. 4 Novellas also.

Book 2 Caliban's War and 5 Nemesis Games are the best, along with the Churn for the Novellas.

I quite enjoyed Asimov's Foundation Trilogy however I prefer English authors, especially Wells and Wyndham - The Time Machine is a cracking read

have the first 3 temeraire books - excellent but in no way should they be described as sci-fi

I was broadening the scope to fantasy I must admit.

I have a friend who reads Star Trek books on the Quayside during his dinner. I'll ask him which ones he thinks are best.

It depends which series sets your heart on fire. From the original series you get some classic episodes from science fiction writers, and the compilation of all the original series in three books by James Blish.

Talking about Blish, he also wrote the first original story about Star Trek, there are thousands of them now. It’s one of my favourites too., called Spock Must Die, and it features a transporter accident.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/216633.Spock_Must_Die_

Last edited:
I was broadening the scope to fantasy I must admit.

It depends which series sets your heart on fire. From the original series you get some classic episodes from science fiction writers, and the compilation of all the original series in three books by James Blish.

Talking about Blish, he also wrote the first original story about Star Trek, there are thousands of them now. It’s one of my favourites too., called Spock Must Die, and it features a transporter accident.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/216633.Spock_Must_Die_

Can I just say, it's interesting that science fiction is quite a unifying topic on here - people who disagree pretty strongly on pretty much every other topic have a surprising amount in common on this topic.

The best example of this is @My Boy Harry (and any alleged alter egos). For someone I think is almost supernaturally wrong about everything else in existence he's got just about the best taste and judgement of sci fi films I've ever seen

I quite enjoy The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell.

Also
The Martian Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson
Moonseed/Flood/Ark - Stephen Baxter
Owner Trilogy - Neal Asher
Time Salvager/Time Siege - Wesley Chu

Gone from only reading ‘real crime’ and thrillers to Science-fiction of late.

Daemon - Daniel Suarez (read all of his now)
Waking Gods - Sylvain Neuvel
Dark Matter - Blake Crouch
Plus books by Ernest Cline and Patrick Lee

Am I missing anything in this genre? Loved Aldous Huxley and Ray Bradbury when I was young but thought Sci-fi had gone a bit too geeky but there are some brilliantly written, innovative books out there.
I really enjoyed the old man's war series of books

No one has mentioned Rendezvous with Rama yet? One of the few 'proper' sci-fi books I've really enjoyed.

I just don't get Neal Stephenson. All his characters' dialogue reads as if it's been lifted from an internet messageboard frequented by socially inadequate misfits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back