Best record shop in the world

Thats the problem I guess it's gonna most likely be asset stripped now. Someone is in for a massive windfall here! Thats the person/people selling and also collectors may finally get stuff they've needed for years but it was never found amongst the vast amount of stuff in there!
Sad but true. If Bill was in it for the money, he'd have discovered ebay years ago. I'm surprised he kept the place open as long as he did. Hopeless romantic
I remember it in the late 70s with the gadgie who had a droopy handlebar moustache a bit like Jason King. Bergs was canny too and of course the Durham Book Centre for posters.
According to this business directory it is still open Spinning Disk
It could be mate, last time I was in there was easy 10 years ago. Assumedly the owner, who I'd always seen in there, older bloke with glasses, was bopping his head to happy hardcore. It was surreal. I turned around and never went back.

I vaguely recall the Our Price shop when it was in Blandford Street was canny.

New Record Inn..Spinning Disc was a good shout anarl.

What was the record shop in Newcastle not far from the Station..round that Pink Lane way..you had to go down steps to get in...was class for punk stuff.
Pet Sounds, its sister shop was off Old Eldon Square.
Volume for me back in the day. A small group of us used to go through to Sunderland for around 10am on a Saturday, mooch around the record shops there then get the train over to Newcastle and do the same in the afternoon until the shops shut a 5pm.

Spinning disc.
Wax trax was good aswell didn’t seem to be open for long though.
There’s one in Newcastle what’s good Beatdown I think it’s called.

New Record Inn..Spinning Disc was a good shout anarl.

What was the record shop in Newcastle not far from the Station..round that Pink Lane way..you had to go down steps to get in...was class for punk stuff.

As has been mentioned it was Pet Sounds - once got The Beatles' White Album on white vinyl for £3.99 there and good to report it's still a record shop by the name of Beatdown Records.
Volume was even better when it was Listen Ear
The guys in there were so switched on, we knew about everything worth listening to months before the press and other record shops got to know

Fabulous place

Volume could be good if you had the lad with the Fu Manchu pigtail who would let you stop in the shop all day and play 60s Garage stuff and same went for Andy who I think was the manager and had a bit of a Julian Cope hairstyle.

On the downside there was another bloke who worked there and was one of those blokes who always looked down his nose at any purchase that wasnt Bob Dylan or Frank Zappa.

Last edited:
Wax Trax, was it above where the pickle is, opposite Cooper Rose?

I think wax trax was on olive st, or thereabouts? about 1996?
Any decent vinyl shops in and around Durham CC?

not one, unfort
Spinning disc.
Wax trax was good aswell didn’t seem to be open for long though.
There’s one in Newcastle what’s good Beatdown I think it’s called.

there's a few decent ones, in Newcastle ;)

Last edited:
There's a shop similar to that in Stockton (I think it's Stockton). Looked great from the photo I saw, the type of space you could spend ages just flicking through the different sections and have a bit crack on.

I used to love going in Volume in town

Be 'Sound-It-Out Records' in Stockton great place, visit it regularly. Always have some gems and can spend ages in there

Now there's a blast from the past. Used to love that place, in fact I used to love the whole Handyside Arcade, some belting little shops in there

My favourite shop (apart from Fynd and the hippy lasses who used to frequent there) was probably Hifi Opportunities (around the other side of the arcade from the Kard Bar) if only to see the look of disdain from the staff when they they realised you were only in to buy some TDK AD 90 blank cassettes and not the latest Bang & Olufsen Music Centre with speakers the size of the old Roker End.:D

My favourite shop (apart from Fynd and the hippy lasses who used to frequent there) was probably Hifi Opportunities (around the other side of the arcade from the Kard Bar) if only to see the look of disdain from the staff when they they realised you were only in to buy some TDK AD 90 blank cassettes and not the latest Bang & Olufsen Music Centre with speakers the size of the old Roker End.:D
Quad Electrostatics EL33s. Could kill you if you plugged them in the wrong way. Loved that shop :lol::cool:

I'd love to know if there's any better than this. Bill's Records in Dallas, a vinyl enthusiasts wet dream. Bill ran his shop on his own as a collector for over 40 years. If he didn't have it, it didn't exist. Nothing had price tags, you had to ask Bill for a price so it paid dividends to make friends with the bloke. Incidentally he was one of the most fascinating characters I've ever met. Sadly he passed away just a couple of days ago.

He stacks his records horizontally

Last edited:
No good for me ,I don't do "how much are these " in shops or markets or very rarely

I used to like new record inn cos the couple tended to shout stuff at people and start conversations so you'd have 4 people talking to each other 15 feet apart

Berwick st in London is topper ,got about 8 vinyl shops inc Sister ray

Back