Best record shop in the world

TexasMackem

Striker
I'd love to know if there's any better than this. Bill's Records in Dallas, a vinyl enthusiasts wet dream. Bill ran his shop on his own as a collector for over 40 years. If he didn't have it, it didn't exist. Nothing had price tags, you had to ask Bill for a price so it paid dividends to make friends with the bloke. Incidentally he was one of the most fascinating characters I've ever met. Sadly he passed away just a couple of days ago.

It used to be Bandparts at the top of Leith Walk in Edinburgh - now long gone.

bought my first 7 inch single there - 10538 overture by ELO and
My first LP - bowie - ziggy stardust and the spider from mars

with my own pocket money.

still listening to Bowie and Jeff Lynne even now. Legends. Thanks lads. You did me proud and i made the right choice đź‘Ť

I'd love to know if there's any better than this. Bill's Records in Dallas, a vinyl enthusiasts wet dream. Bill ran his shop on his own as a collector for over 40 years. If he didn't have it, it didn't exist. Nothing had price tags, you had to ask Bill for a price so it paid dividends to make friends with the bloke. Incidentally he was one of the most fascinating characters I've ever met. Sadly he passed away just a couple of days ago.

...and life is made of such characters. All the best Bill - gone to the biggest record shop in the universe...(make sure you stock Aretha Franklin. Luther Vandross, Bowie, Elton John, ELO, Boney James, Aztec Camera, Nara Michael Walden and Kraftwerk - see you in a few years time - cheers - đź‘Ť )

New Record Inn..Spinning Disc was a good shout anarl.
Volume Records Newcastle
Avalanche Records Edinburgh
The Kard Bar (Handyside Arcade) Ncastle.

What was the record shop in Newcastle not far from the Station..round that Pink Lane way..you had to go down steps to get in...was class for punk stuff.

Last edited:
Didn't it go a bit weird though? They were playing/selling more makina stuff before it shut down.

I remember it in the late 70s with the gadgie who had a droopy handlebar moustache a bit like Jason King. Bergs was canny too and of course the Durham Book Centre for posters.
According to this business directory it is still open Spinning Disk

Last edited:
There's a shop similar to that in Stockton (I think it's Stockton). Looked great from the photo I saw, the type of space you could spend ages just flicking through the different sections and have a bit crack on.

I used to love going in Volume in town

Last edited:
I loved Mister CD in Berwick St, that London, the basement section. It was where an awful lot of people in the industry offloaded their freebies, promos etc. You could go in with ÂŁ20 and come out with 20 cd albums. A great way to discover new music for not much money.

Last edited:
Very impressive that!

Imagine he's now gonna be a big miss.
Irreplaceable mate. That's the worry, who's going to want to take it over?

Mind I can't decide if I'd be gutted or delighted to inherit all that inventory. There'll be stuff out back worth a fortune that's been stuck in a cardboard box for three decades or more.

What was that shop called in Jarra opposite the Viking centre- got some canny bargains there.
Plus upstairs in Callers at the Nook (12" Squeeze Cool for Cats pink vinyl)

Irreplaceable mate. That's the worry, who's going to want to take it over?

Mind I can't decide if I'd be gutted or delighted to inherit all that inventory. There'll be stuff out back worth a fortune that's been stuck in a cardboard box for three decades or more.

Thats the problem I guess it's gonna most likely be asset stripped now. Someone is in for a massive windfall here! Thats the person/people selling and also collectors may finally get stuff they've needed for years but it was never found amongst the vast amount of stuff in there!

Back