Best place you've ever been

In the early 70s I went to St Lucia. One flight a week and the cabin crew stayed for a week as well. They took the return flight the following week. Totally unspoilt. 3 hours to get to Castries from the South of the Island - 40 miles. Beautiful. The airport we flew into could not handle the amount of passengers on the plane - so they took 12 names and checked their luggage and the rest of us went to the hotel. A long way from Dawdon

Went to the Maldives 20 years ago - just so quiet and stunning. No radio, no TV, no news, no shoes. A long way from Dawdon

For me though sitting on the clifftop at the Seaham Hall Car Park watching the spring tide waves crashing over the lighthouse and pier at Seaham is breathtaking.
Not a long way from Dawdon.

Hà Nội, Bagan, Rome, Barcelona, Sicily, Phủ Quốc, Prague, New York.

Many many places (on top) all with different charms.

Everest Base Camp. Will never forget it.

Already got serious plans to attempt a minor summit in the Himalayas in the future.

I go to Paris every year and I find it to be boring to be honest. I went to Santa Monica and Venice Beach when I was in my teens, should probably go back as an adult and reassess.
Santa Monica and Venice Beach have become crowded as fuck in the past few years. Traffic is absolutely horrific. Venice Beach is not what it used to be, sadly.

Santa Monica is nice but it's just hard to get around because there's just so many f***ing people.

Maybe it's just my old age speaking though.

The Swiss Alps. Particularly the towns of Zermatt and Täsch. Breathtaking. Mountains all around you with no visible ending. Waking up on a morning was amazing.

I loved Kaliningrad last summer but I think it was probably more to do with the World Cup atmosphere and people around it than anything else. Can't imagine there's much going on.

Honorable shout outs to everywhere in Germany. They've just got everything right.

Zermatt just before Christmas is a fantastic place to be.

We were there a few years ago , had a meal booked up at Riffelalp which is over 2200m above sea level, got the train up and walked about 800 yards along the path to the restaurant, lit only by the odd light and a full moon which lit up the Matterhorn.

Asked for the bill as we had to get the train back down , the waiter told us not to worry but keep an eye on the guy at the end of the bar as he was the train driver.

Gentle walk back along the track and the train was sat facing downhill, jumped on with the staff from the hotel and headed back down to Zermatt, fabulous night out in a magical place.

Last edited:
I wish I would've traveled more when I was younger and my fear of flying was more manageable. It's getting worse and worse every year. The last flight I took was last year to San Jose and it was a horrifically torturous experience.

I really haven't been anywhere:cry:

Suppose I mean your favourite place, or somewhere you'd recommend
Is it right that the area surrounding them is awful though? I've heard horror stories about pickpockets when people are getting off the bus

The best way to see the pyramids is when they're floodlit at night, from the poolside restaurant at the Mena House hotel in Cairo.

Up close I think they're disappointing and the area around them is filthy.

★★★★★ Marriott Mena House, Cairo, Cairo, Egypt

CAn't remember the name of the place but I flew into a small town in Norway years ago with the airport runway out in the sea. Scary stuff.

Other airports of note: The old Hong Kong, Almaty, and loads of Russian and Chinese airports that look like they're only half finished.

Don't forget Gibraltar! ;)

Last edited:
In the Zillertal valley now which is pretty amazing. Also Kluane National Park, Yukon, kogelberg National Park western Cape and wanaka, South Island of New Zealand

Back