Best place to buy some free weights?

Can anyone recommend a place to buy some free weights, my son wants to get a set of dumbbells and a bar, good quality but not to pricey.

He was thinking he would need between 50 to 100 kg, he is just starting out and wants to make sure he has enough weight for the progress, also said I can borrow them which is a bonus for my health journey.

We had some cast iron ones years ago, but lost them in a house move, so where's the best place to buy a good set from ?

Can anyone recommend a place to buy some free weights, my son wants to get a set of dumbbells and a bar, good quality but not to pricey.

He was thinking he would need between 50 to 100 kg, he is just starting out and wants to make sure he has enough weight for the progress, also said I can borrow them which is a bonus for my health journey.

We had some cast iron ones years ago, but lost them in a house move, so where's the best place to buy a good set from ?
Gumtree, Facebook

Is he after just dumbbells or a bar too?
After them both for now and looking into a squat rack and bench at some point

People constantly sell it when they get bored. It'll be him one day.

yup understand that, he has just turned 20 and decided he wants to bulk up a bit, spent a long time keeping fit with his footie but now that's over wans to get in to lifting as his new sport

After them both for now and looking into a squat rack and bench at some point

yup understand that, he has just turned 20 and decided he wants to bulk up a bit, spent a long time keeping fit with his footie but now that's over wans to get in to lifting as his new sport
There’s a place called fitness superstore at the metro (also online) which I found to be the cheapest. I’d suggest he gets Olympic plates/bar/dumbbells depending on his budget

Why doesn't he get a months gym membership, to see if it's for him?
He joined exercise for less, which was a love hate thing, he enjoyed using the free weights but wasn't keen on the gym itself, the PT's seem to spend a lot of time and effort trying to sell stuff. never been myself so don't know much about it, he is researching online for some good starting programs, any suggestions on a good training program by chance?

He joined exercise for less, which was a love hate thing, he enjoyed using the free weights but wasn't keen on the gym itself, the PT's seem to spend a lot of time and effort trying to sell stuff. never been myself so don't know much about it, he is researching online for some good starting programs, any suggestions on a good training program by chance?
Stronglifts 5x5

I don't lift, sorry!

I don't lift myself atm, proper fat bloke who is just starting the fat loss and fitness journey again, reason for tapping into the knowledge on here.
No probs.

Starting programmes: I have done:

Stronglifts 5x5
Rippetoe starting strength
Greyskull LP

Last edited:
No probs.

Stronglifts 5x5
Greyskull LP
Rippetoe is great. Some great stuff on YouTube and he's deadpan but canny funny on his new series.

No probs.

Stronglifts 5x5
Greyskull LP

Fantastic stuff mate thanks for the post, plenty there to get him started with regards info.

Back