Best photography software

gonk is free, but not particularly simple. I normally use Affinity as mentioned by @AB22 Easy Tiger above - trial versions downloadable free and they regularly have half price offers so if you like it, wait for one of them.

Did you get any software with your camera? That is often the simplest and obviously won't cost you anything extra - but it will be limited in what it can do and how well it does it.

Lightroom.

It’s a tenner a month on the Creative Cloud app. Generally with software though, it’s more about learning how it works and where everything is. Any of the others will likely do pretty much all the basic stuff just as well.

Lightroom.

It’s a tenner a month on the Creative Cloud app. Generally with software though, it’s more about learning how it works and where everything is. Any of the others will likely do pretty much all the basic stuff just as well.
This still the majority vote?

Just starting out and looking to see which is best to use.
TIA.

This still the majority vote?

Just starting out and looking to see which is best to use.
TIA.
Really not sure to be honest mate. It’s probably been a year since I used it now.

It certainly won’t be a bad option to try out if you can get a free trial or pay for a month subscription.

Really not sure to be honest mate. It’s probably been a year since I used it now.

It certainly won’t be a bad option to try out if you can get a free trial or pay for a month subscription.
Cheers, there's a free version with restricted tools but a free 7 day trial as well. I'll it a go, not that I know what I'm doing with it.

If anyone is interested, Humble Bundle is currently selling a Corel bundle including PaintShop Pro 2023 (as well as After Shot Pro 3, Painter 2023 and VideoStudio Pro 2023). You can get all of them for under £25 at the moment so not bad for an upfront price. Ignore Humble Bundle saying the codes are for Steam, you actually redeem them on the Corel website.

I currently use Capture One Express, which is a free download. Occasionally use gonk for more esoteric processing. Both are free and very powerful, and capable of a lot more than I currently need or understand.

Planning to migrate my PCs and laptops at some point to Linux, as losing confidence in Windows. Evaluating DarkTable and gonk for the future.

Last edited:

Back