Best of Prog Rock...

Got this on full pelt right now.

Sunn O))) and Nurse With Wound.

Let me know what you think Phil...

No, try this one instead...

I'm aware that I'm staying off the beaten track here, but this is where prog is at nowadays baby...

I give you Pansonic and Barry Adamson...

Last edited:

Got this on full pelt right now.

Sunn O))) and Nurse With Wound.

Let me know what you think Phil...

No, try this one instead...

I'm aware that I'm staying off the beaten track here, but this is where prog is at nowadays baby...

I give you Pansonic and Barry Adamson...

Just listened to the second one first, LOUD, in the middle of an insane thunderstorm here in the midlands.

It really suited the sound of the weather!

It's certainly one way prog has gone. There are other directions that I'm fond of though. :)

If that track was the opening track, last track or the "intermission" in the middle of a ferocious album then it might be something I'd buy, but if the whole album is that laid back then it would be too much for me. I like that sort of thing as a "breather" inbetween tracks with more movement and energy but I couldn't listen to a whole album of it.

OK, i just made it about 10 minutes into the first one before realising it was a whole album. Skipped through the rest. Yeah, it's interesting, I get the appeal from an art point of view, but it's not the sort of thing that gets my juices flowing. I went the opposite direction with prog... not so avante garde soundscapy, heavier on the guitars and drums and I guess much more commercial, although that's the first time I've ever used the word to describe my musical preferences - I consider myself generally to be way outside the mainstream box for most of the music I listen to, but that Sunn O))) album is out there even from me.

This is about as "out there" in that direction as I get, and it's the rocky bits that keep me interested:

Änglagård - Vandringar i Vilsenhet

Don Caballero - Mmmm Acting, I Like Me Some Good Acting

Last edited:
Possibly my favourite stuff they did with Gabriel.

Probably peak prog genesis - the ‘concept’ album of sorts... the cage may be the best piece they wrote (suppers ready poss?) but the album could have be trimmed a little bit...
I actually prefer Phil Collins earlyish era - trick of the tail, duke abacab...
find Ga briel a bit pretentious

I've Googled it but I'm none the wiser. What is it you're trying to confirm?

That although Steinman write the songs and Meatloaf sang them, the sonic ‘archtecture’ and stylistic approach of what became the Meatloaf ‘canon’ originated from the producer of that first album: Todd Rundgren who, when approached to produce the album thought it was a joke and proceeded to approach it like a parody of an over-the-top Springsteen record. There are definite traces of Rundgren in some of the playing (he used his usual team of session players as well as playing guitar on it) ...but nobody realised he was taking the piss and treated it like it was all part of the whole ‘dramatic’ approach to rock mythology. Rundgren doesn’t mind at all. - it funded a lot of the rest of his career.

But I always thought Meatloaf was a bit of a joke anyway.

:)

Oh. And it’s DEFINITELY not Progressive Rock.

Back