Best of Prog Rock...

Fuck the haters.

Following the "Worst Prog Band" thread, I felt we needed a thread to showcase some of the best of Prog Rock.

(I'd say Prog Metal is also admissible, so feel free to chuck in your favourite Dream Theater or Symphony X tracks too. Post Rock, Math Rock and Mathcore all count too. As long as it's a rock subgenre and proggy, get it posted.).

So many great bands, so many great songs, so many different takes on the Prog Rock idea, it's hard to settle on three songs to start the thread off with.

I reckon let's start fairly commercial and well-known, and I'll get "deeper" later in the thread (if it goes well ;) )...

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son

Deep Purple - Child In Time

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell
Meatloaf is fuckin wank.

Can I also suggest a little-known band from the early 1980s called Twelfth Night. Check out their live album “Live and Let Live”. Geoff Mann RIP.

Oh. Which was then and which wasn't ?
Why was Time Was prog rock ?
It's largely in the ear of the beholder. It's not just me that thinks Wishbone Ash did some prog rock. See this.
WISHBONE ASH

Time Was sounds like prog whereas Jailbait doesn't. Just my opinion.

I've got a best of prog rock CD that has an ELO track on it. Hard to categorise some bands.

It's largely in the ear of the beholder. It's not just me that thinks Wishbone Ash did some prog rock. See this.
WISHBONE ASH

Time Was sounds like prog whereas Jailbait doesn't. Just my opinion.

I've got a best of prog rock CD that has an ELO track on it. Hard to categorise some bands.
They are a rock band no doubt but not what I would say was progressive at all. Both those songs are amongst my favourites but I would class Jailbait as trad rock and Time Was as soft rock.
I e always thought prog rock used keyboards and as you know Wishbone Ash are guitar led.

They are a rock band no doubt but not what I would say was progressive at all. Both those songs are amongst my favourites but I would class Jailbait as trad rock and Time Was as soft rock.
I e always thought prog rock used keyboards and as you know Wishbone Ash are guitar led.
Prog rock is hard to define. Doesn't have to be keyboard led. This is the ELO track on my prog rock CD

And this is on it as well

By your definition, agreed. Not sure Radiohead for example would thank you for the tag, but they fit the description you’ve outlined.

I've always found the term prog rock a bit of a mystery to be honest.

ELP, Genesis, and Yes are always seen as the vanguard of 70s prog..

But why are Pink Floyd , Queen, Bowie etc not considered prog then ?

Maybe its just all about big keyboards and pretentious 'classical' approach to music.

Prog rock is hard to define. Doesn't have to be keyboard led. This is the ELO track on my prog rock CD

And this is on it as well

Yes, I can understand both those tracks being termed prog rock. Not Wishbone Ash though.

I've always found the term prog rock a bit of a mystery to be honest.

ELP, Genesis, and Yes are always seen as the vanguard of 70s prog..

But why are Pink Floyd , Queen, Bowie etc not considered prog then ?

Maybe its just all about big keyboards and pretentious 'classical' approach to music.
That's what I thought but Wishbone Ash are indeed classed as prog rock and are guitar led and without a keyboard player. To me they are a rock band.

Last edited:

Back