Best of Prog Rock...

Fuck the haters.

Following the "Worst Prog Band" thread, I felt we needed a thread to showcase some of the best of Prog Rock.

(I'd say Prog Metal is also admissible, so feel free to chuck in your favourite Dream Theater or Symphony X tracks too. Post Rock, Math Rock and Mathcore all count too. As long as it's a rock subgenre and proggy, get it posted.).

So many great bands, so many great songs, so many different takes on the Prog Rock idea, it's hard to settle on three songs to start the thread off with.

I reckon let's start fairly commercial and well-known, and I'll get "deeper" later in the thread (if it goes well ;) )...

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son

Deep Purple - Child In Time

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell
Meatloaf :oops::lol:

Absolutely terrible .

What the hell is 'math rock' & 'mathcore' ?

All these sub genres of sub genres is getting a bit silly.

Math rock is a modern variant on prog rock, hard rock and post rock that uses a lot of complicated rhythms and unusual time signatures in high energy songs usually played with an overdriven (but not metal levels of distortion) guitar sound. Like this:

LITE - Human Gift

Tricot - E

Mathcore is the musically-extreme-prog end of hardcore metal essentially. Like this:

Dillinger Escape Plan - When I Lost My Bet

:) The guitar sounds in math rock are way too "vintage" for it to be a branch of hardcore, IMO, especially when you already have mathcore fulfilling the "hardcore with funny time signatures" description.

Hardcore’s a fairly broad church though. The original hardcore bands weren’t particularly heavy in the way a lot of modern hardcore is.

Hardcore’s a fairly broad church though. The original hardcore bands weren’t particularly heavy in the way a lot of modern hardcore is.

True. Did you have a listen to the tracks I posted as a reply to the guy asking about math rock / mathcore? A couple of math rock bands and a mathcore band? To me the genres are quite distinct, but maybe you have some examples that blur the lines?

Back