Best of Prog Rock...

fyl2u

Striker
Fuck the haters.

Following the "Worst Prog Band" thread, I felt we needed a thread to showcase some of the best of Prog Rock.

(I'd say Prog Metal is also admissible, so feel free to chuck in your favourite Dream Theater or Symphony X tracks too. Post Rock, Math Rock and Mathcore all count too. As long as it's a rock subgenre and proggy, get it posted.).

So many great bands, so many great songs, so many different takes on the Prog Rock idea, it's hard to settle on three songs to start the thread off with.

I reckon let's start fairly commercial and well-known, and I'll get "deeper" later in the thread (if it goes well ;) )...

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son

Deep Purple - Child In Time

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell

I don't know the Kansas track, but in what world are Deep People and Meatloaf prog?

Those songs I posted are progressive rock songs. The bands might not consider themselves prog rock bands as such, but they've both written prog rock tracks.

Those songs I posted are progressive rock songs. The bands might not consider themselves prog rock bands as such, but they've both written prog rock tracks.
By your definition, agreed. Not sure Radiohead for example would thank you for the tag, but they fit the description you’ve outlined.

Back