Best of ,Greatest hits albums

Disorder, insight, she’s lost control, shadowplay, interzone. That’s just unknown pleasures, digest that one first. Also, substance is a great best of.

I’ll have a listen later, I remember a thread on here years ago and listened to the albums then and thought for the most they were awful.

Perhaps time may have mellowed me or maybes I’ve still got one of my senses intact. 👍

Just not for me - 'specially the former. All a bit Matthew & Son innit.

I dinnar - for me sometimes Wellar hits the spot, other times he grates. I think his voice lends itself to some songs better than others as well.

I'll no doubt re-explore the Jam again at some point, but there's anly so many hours in the day isn't there. For now the Very Best of once a year or so will suffice (think I've just decided what to put on in the car next week).
Weller has never been great at quality control and rarely listened to anyone's opinion so you get a lot of filler.For a moment in time Him and Foxton were on top of their game ,lyrics ,tunes and sang with a certain swagger.That never lasts long .By the early 80s they had an awful jangly /chorus/.flanger sound I can't listen too

Out Of Time was the megastardom years. Wasn’t that good though.
Documents awfulman. It came out when I was traipsing around the US for the third n final time on holiday and I listened to it constantly On Walkman. Nivver been so disappointed in an album ever. I can’t believe an earned up human being would find owt more than a couple of songs on it interesting.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Finest Worksong, Exhuming McCarthy, Disturbance a the Heron House, End of the World, The One I Love, King of Birds.

All great songs.
Have a like, for your utter ridiculousness.

The river, with the rap at the beginning - f***ing spine tingling.

All the mick Taylor albums together are the greatest hits. They were shite before and after.
Agree about Mick Taylor. Listen his guitar on this - f***ing awesome.

Last edited:
King Of Birds is stunningly gorgeous.
Beautiful live track too.

I’m now trying to decide which other one @riffraff moderately liked.
Have you ever seen Tourfilm? It's the film of the Green tour. The version of King of Birds on that is wonderful, and I Remember California is a really powerful performance as well. The whole film is brilliant, and shows what a great front man Stipe was. Worth watching if you can.

Have you ever seen Tourfilm? It's the film of the Green tour. The version of King of Birds on that is wonderful, and I Remember California is a really powerful performance as well. The whole film is brilliant, and shows what a great front man Stipe was. Worth watching if you can.

Of course I have.
Several several times over.
World Leader Pretend & You Are The Everything are great too.
As you’d expect, as the two best tracks on Green.

Weller has never been great at quality control and rarely listened to anyone's opinion so you get a lot of filler.For a moment in time Him and Foxton were on top of their game ,lyrics ,tunes and sang with a certain swagger.That never lasts long .By the early 80s they had an awful jangly /chorus/.flanger sound I can't listen too
The 3 consecutive albums of All Mod Cons, Setting Sons and Sound Affects are absolutely spellbinding imo. Although the cover of heatwave was a bit unnecessary

In a way, It’s absolutely fine as an upbeat singalong pop song for the masses

It’s the most unrepresentative song of their career though when you consider the thoughtful universal meaningful material they regularly verged toward.
Aye. I'm watching Tourfilm on YouTube now :)

And my REM live story - I had a ticket to see them at De Montfort Hall on the Green tour, the first time I would see them. My Granda died two days before the gig and I couldn't think of a good enough excuse to miss the funeral - 'going to see my favourite band' wouldn't cut it. So I missed the gig. Then they got MASSIVE and only played stadiums, so I never went to see them live.

My wife saw them when they toured Murmur. She had no idea who they were - she likes to remind me of this every time I play an REM album :evil:

And my REM live story - I had a ticket to see them at De Montfort Hall on the Green tour, the first time I would see them. My Granda died two days before the gig and I couldn't think of a good enough excuse to miss the funeral - 'going to see my favourite band' wouldn't cut it. So I missed the gig. Then they got MASSIVE and only played stadiums, so I never went to see them live.

My wife saw them when they toured Murmur. She had no idea who they were - she likes to remind me of this every time I play an REM album :evil:

I saw them them live 14 times overall.

I wasn’t old enough to see them in the 80s though, sadly.

Then this seems the appropriate time to mention I saw em at Hammersmith twice on the Green tour....also at Tiffany’s pushing the 4th album.....then at an awful Earls Ct gig during the mega years. Lost interest in seeing em live after that one.

Back