Best meal you’ve had

Kams Roast Goose in Hong Kong. There was a queue and we didn’t think we would end up waiting that long, plus we didn’t have anything planned that day. In the queue for just over 2 and a half hours. We didn’t think it would take that long but the longer we left it, the more inclined we were to stay. Nipped to the shop so we had some beers in the queue. Was definitely worth the wait

Kams Roast Goose in Hong Kong. There was a queue and we didn’t think we would end up waiting that long, plus we didn’t have anything planned that day. In the queue for just over 2 and a half hours. We didn’t think it would take that long but the longer we left it, the more inclined we were to stay. Nipped to the shop so we had some beers in the queue. Was definitely worth the wait
Wan chai 👍

Another for braised ox cheek - this time at Rules on Maiden Lane in Covent Garden
Closely followed by a burger in the Stackyard in the early eighties. Never had burgers tasting like that since.

Think mine was up in Edinburgh in a nice restaurant. It was ox cheek served on a bed of mash with greens and a red wine sauce. Beautiful soft meat that just fell apart. I did have a few Malbec’s before hand which may have swayed my judgement 🍷
Animal face is very under used. Both pork and ox cheeks are absolutely delicious. Morrison often sell them but they don't sell them in any other supermarket I can think of. Just need slow cooking and some may potato.

No idea, but a couple of years ago Mrs Army (no) won a $250 meal voucher for Benjamin Steakhouse in midtown New York and the food there was bloody brilliant, so off the top of my head I'll say that.

Been to a few Michelin places and they were fantastic but favourite three would be my mams cheese on toast, never been able to get it the same despite it being as simple as can be. She wasn’t a great cook, rest her soul, but cheese on toast for me and my mates after rolling in from pub as teenagers was the best. Alongside that fish and chips on Inis Mor or tapas from a ropey looking cafe in Andalusia.

KFC bucket thing with about 6 slices of bread and butter in Shepherds Bush after Sunday sesh and not much to eat on a weekend visit to my mate's in 85.
Animal face is very under used. Both pork and ox cheeks are absolutely delicious. Morrison often sell them but they don't sell them in any other supermarket I can think of. Just need slow cooking and some may potato.
A friend of mine (R.I.P.) used to work in the butcher's on Villette Road in the 70s told me calf's cheeks and sheep's brains were put aside for the money people up The Cedars and other posh streets.

Last edited:

I sometimes feel I'm the only one who buys them in Morrisons. We usually make 1 a week for ourselves and the dog gets a few a week too. Stick them in the instant pot for an hour and 15 mins and they come out like they have been slow cooked for an entire day. Makes a great Ragu for pasta as well.

They used to sell pork cheek as well but that stopped in lockdown v1. I asked the butcher there a while back if they would be doing them again but he said no. They don't seem to have had ox in since New Year's either unfortunately.

At a Thai restaurant in The Dam in 84 after not eating for a day and a half as we did a three legged hitch hike there.
Anything probably would have tasted nice at the time but that was a WOW meal for an 18 yr old kid from Hetton used to mince and dumplings.

Back