Best Man Speeches

piece of piss compared to best man speech like.

Always enjoyed them, breaks it up a little......good to here some stories and nice words.
Can't stand up in front of others. Just can't do it

I was best man last year for my best mate. I hate public speaking of any kind and I was terrified.

I prepped for months before hand and my ‘cut’ document was nearly as long as my ‘speech document’ by the end of it.

Give yourself plenty of time because things you deem appropriate one time you’ll think is shit another time. And if you think it’s shit at any point it’s worth leaving out.

100% leave out the personal jokes no one else will get and 100% leave out the internet standard shite
Dave P?

I lost weight leading up to my daughters wedding worrying about the speech, daughter said don't do it if I didn't want to but felt I couldn't not do one.
You do OK?

Last edited:

You do OK?
I think I got away with it, still gives me the heebeegeebees to think about it even though it was 7 years ago!
Was shaking beforehand, 80 people at the reception, I struggle to speak coherently to more than 2 or 3 people.
Scariest thing I've ever done, worse than when I did a parachute jump.

I think I got away with it, still gives me the heebeegeebees to think about it even though it was 7 years ago!
Was shaking beforehand, 80 people at the reception, I struggle to speak coherently to more than 2 or 3 people.
Scariest thing I've ever done, worse than when I did a parachute jump.
Something else I'll never do :lol:
Well done you for getting up I say

Can't stand up in front of others. Just can't do it

Dave P?

You do OK?
It's a funny and stupid fear really, isn't it? I imagine you'd have no issue having a chat to a group of people (some you know, some you may not) in your local pub or workplace but a formal setting seems to produce irrational fears/anxiety for a lot of people.

It's strange.

I was best man for the wifes grandad who was in his 60s. I knew they were going on a tour of america for their honeymoon. I said make sure you take route 66 when you are driving, rather than route 69 or you could end up in the shit, went down like a lead balloon

Done it twice - for my best mate and for my brother.

Wrote a few notes down beforehand, memorised them, and had a few practice runs in front of the wife (no) first. Mainly told a few stories of when we were kids and some of the things we got up to when we started to go out drinking - nothing too bad though. Kept it short both times.

At my mates, I'd written'prompt' cards for myself. Stood up, got the cards out, looked through them, then chucked them over my shoulder, shrugged and pretended to 'wing it', and it went down a treat.

At my brother's I'd never met any of his new In-laws before - his missus is Irish - so I started off with something along the lines of "I'm going to tell you a few tales about the real <name>". Luckily one of his old mates was there who would laugh at a blocked drain - helps to have a 'cheerleader' - and again it went well.

Best tip is not to read directly from cards or a written speech - memorise it (doesn't matter if you forget some things - you can always recount them later at the reception) - make eye contact with your 'audience' and just try to relax.

Don't worry about dying on your arse - you're not a professional comedian ffs. You're the Groom's mate and everyone wants you to do well.

Someone interrupted me when I done my pals, I was so angry I wanted to smash his face in! He kept right out of my way the rest of the day the fat little ****

What did you do? We have some belting stories but I've been told I can't use anything even slightly dodgy which means none of them are going in. :lol:
There must be funny tales that aren't dodgy. I used one at my mate's about us bunking off school and it was that well received, it was used at his Mam's funeral as well (not by me).
Has he not said or done something mildly daft or got a hobby or slightly annoying (but endearing) personality trait?

There must be funny tales that aren't dodgy. I used one at my mate's about us bunking off school and it was that well received, it was used at his Mam's funeral as well (not by me).
Has he not said or done something mildly daft or got a hobby or slightly annoying (but endearing) personality trait?
Haha, not really. Literally everything memorable has some dodgy foundation. :lol: I've honestly not been able to include any of the stories, but I've managed to spin their absence in a slightly humorous way, so I think I should be okay.

Haha, not really. Literally everything memorable has some dodgy foundation. :lol: I've honestly not been able to include any of the stories, but I've managed to spin their absence in a slightly humorous way, so I think I should be okay.
When is the big day? Still got writers block or is it flowing nicely?

I've done two now and really enjoyed them both in the end, despite feeling like I wanted to vomit about 5 minutes before starting.

Used a projection screen for each one for photos, videos, etc, which really helps as it takes the focus off you standing there with your cue cards looking nervous!

First one I used that old Bollywood clips creator thing that used to be really popular on here and turned them into marriage advice videos, seemed to go down well

Back