Best local player not to play at higher level

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmy

Striker
Just got me thinking watching SA v New Zealand who is the best local player never to play at the highest level I.e county or higher????
Having played local in dcl and county and coast league I'm going go for Simon Davies and kit Allan jnr.

Both great talents who had a great eye and could time the pants off the ball. In my opinion both could have played for Durham.

Just got me thinking watching SA v New Zealand who is the best local player never to play at the highest level I.e county or higher????
Having played local in dcl and county and coast league I'm going go for Simon Davies and kit Allan jnr.

Both great talents who had a great eye and could time the pants off the ball. In my opinion both could have played for Durham.
We are all entitled to our opinions, but.... Really ?
What level did Davies and Allan actually play at ?
County League ? Coast League ? And, later, Durham Cricket League ?
Neither played in the old Durham Senior League, the NYSD, or the NEPL Premier League.
If they had played at this level, and done well, then you would have a case !
Going back a number of years, Norman Riddle was a prolific opening batsman at Eppleton, facing up to Test Match opening bowlers and Overseas first class cricketers.
He would be my choice.
Joe Bittlestone was also a prolific run scorer in much stronger leagues that any that Davies and Allan played in.

Allan Worthy. Seen him not just score runs but take apart test match bowling.

Paul Burn was a class act and if you'd ask Alan the same question you'd probably get the same answer. He played against some serious cricketers in the DSL in the 80s and 90s and rarely came off second best. His minor county record was top notch and I think he was extremely unlucky not to get a break 1st class wise.

Paul Burn was a class act and if you'd ask Alan the same question you'd probably get the same answer. He played against some serious cricketers in the DSL in the 80s and 90s and rarely came off second best. His minor county record was top notch and I think he was extremely unlucky not to get a break 1st class wise.
Slightly before my time mate so I'm just going off who I've seen personally.

Showing my age but players like Ian Conn, Stephen Ball and Calvin Stephenson spring to mind.
Good shout in Paul Burn though.

The
Showing my age but players like Ian Conn, Stephen Ball and Calvin Stephenson spring to mind.

They reckon Conn was offered a contract every year for a while from Gloucester or Glamorgan but kept turning it down as he had a well paid job. Bally was a good turn and a character as well. Did Stephenson play much in the DSL? A bit before my time but Stuart Wilkinson and Brian Lander. Both unplayable into their 50s!!!! They reckon Russell Inglis at Chester le Street was a different level but way before my time a well.

Mind when you speak of these cricketers, it goes to show difficult it was to make it when there was no direct route through your own county.

Calvin was offered a summer contract at Durham but was in a well paid job and obviously being paid from his club as well so he felt it wasn't worth it.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but.... Really ?
What level did Davies and Allan actually play at ?
County League ? Coast League ? And, later, Durham Cricket League ?
Neither played in the old Durham Senior League, the NYSD, or the NEPL Premier League.
If they had played at this level, and done well, then you would have a case !
Going back a number of years, Norman Riddle was a prolific opening batsman at Eppleton, facing up to Test Match opening bowlers and Overseas first class cricketers.
He would be my choice.
Joe Bittlestone was also a prolific run scorer in much stronger leagues that any that Davies and Allan played in.

Here badge, wicketkeeper wants his log-in back ;).

Dave Borthwick was a class act. I think he played minor counties for both Durham and Northumberland (I could be wrong) but don't believe he played 1st class cricket

Stuart Wilkinson.. any day.
Steve Atkinson...probably

Stuart Wilkinson is a great shout.

Steven Greensword was also a class act,but think he might have actually played at a higher level,earlier in his career

Conn kept up a level of consistency for years and years that would be hard to match

Last edited:
Pick any out of the all-conquering Durham side of the late 1970s. That team wouldn't have disgraced itself in the CC at the time. Outstanding cricketers to a man who just didn't fancy the financial risk of leaving their jobs and the area. Conn and Burn too, just the wrong side of 25 when DCCC finally joined the CC. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but those 2 should have been offered top wages to play in 1992.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back