Best fish and chips in SR6?

Cobbler? Fecking Basa Fish! Avoid. I was horrified to find it openly on sale at Mozza's at about half the price or less of cod.
I think they are the same mate. I’m sure they just call it different things. It lives in the sewer (that’s what our lass reckons).

I supply hundreds of shops across the country and don’t know if one shop that would sell coley pretending it was cod. The business is just not like that. Fish and chips shop owners are normally proud of their product and would not cheat. Saying that, if you are coley blind folded you couldn’t taste the difference between that and cod.

Where is it and what’s it called ?

Is the owner still totally nuts. A bit of an actor as well ?
It is like that though, i started in consumer law in 1998 and with fake pizza cheese, it was just as big with fake cod!
I spent years afterwards in Trading Standards, and they spent alot of money doing DNA of fish in chippies. Most was pollock (I dont mind just dont call it cod..oh and dont charge the same!!) The worst is the Coley piss takers..its the bottom end and making one hell of a profit. Also ...Would you buy you fish and chips from a dodgy second hand car dealer?

All fish bought from a shop/supermarket should have the type, it’s Latin name and where it is from. It’s criminal that chip shops don’t do this.
Seen a programme 2 year ago about it.

All fish bought from a shop/supermarket should have the type, it’s Latin name and where it is from. It’s criminal that chip shops don’t do this.
Seen a programme 2 year ago about it.
Be as sarcastic as you like...Morrisons moved down south by buying Safeway to get into the market...randomly put red skin fish on something they didnt have the knowledge to identify what it was... The food team at ours eyes popped out! There is a definite quality difference...you buy a BMW for 40K..you get a Sokda for 15K...It's not how its sold...basically shit fish sold as prime fish is illegal

Last edited:
It is like that though, i started in consumer law in 1998 and with fake pizza cheese, it was just as big with fake cod!
I spent years afterwards in Trading Standards, and they spent alot of money doing DNA of fish in chippies. Most was pollock (I dont mind just dont call it cod..oh and dont charge the same!!) The worst is the Coley piss takers..its the bottom end and making one hell of a profit. Also ...Would you buy you fish and chips from a dodgy second hand car dealer?
which area were you in?

frozen at sea coley is the same eating quality as cod. it is cheaper because it is more proilific and easier to catch. Germans would rather eat coley than cod. To eat it blindfolded no one could tell the difference !
Alaskan pollock only gets fillets of about 2-4oz so it is very difficult to substitute it for cod when most shops give 8oz + portions.

Havent a clue what you are on about with Morrissons and the red skin !!!

which area were you in?

frozen at sea coley is the same eating quality as cod. it is cheaper because it is more proilific and easier to catch. Germans would rather eat coley than cod. To eat it blindfolded no one could tell the difference !
Alaskan pollock only gets fillets of about 2-4oz so it is very difficult to substitute it for cod when most shops give 8oz + portions.

Havent a clue what you are on about with Morrissons and the red skin !!!
I worked in Surrey for years...I dont have a problem with different fish...IF it's what it's described as! If something is described as COD but it turns out to be Coley...It's illegal.
As for Morrisons...When a supermarket etc sell fish they have to state what it is...red skin fish could be possibly mullet, gurnard or snapper etc...To just state 'red skin fish' is too vague..it could be anything they found..ffs
As for chippies, we went here on the way back from a trip out Fish and Chips at 149
Now thats a proper chippie and cheaper than 'The Bay'
And on the 14th of September

Last edited:
I worked in Surrey for years...I dont have a problem with different fish...IF it's what it's described as! If something is described as COD but it turns out to be Coley...It's illegal.
As for Morrisons...When a supermarket etc sell fish they have to state what it is...red skin fish could be possibly mullet, gurnard or snapper etc...To just state 'red skin fish' is too vague..it could be anything they found..ffs
As for chippies, we went here on the way back from a trip out Fish and Chips at 149
Barndard?

Barndard?
Barndard?
I supply 149 and their owners , Deep Blue who are Surrey based. I reckon I supply 90% of shops in Surrey and don’t know one that cheats. Shit fish and chips mostly but no cheats. As for morrissons , I know nothing about this red skin fish. All I know is that compared to other retailers they are angels. They have real fish experts doing the buying who understand the industry not number crunchers like the others.
The only run in with trading standards we have down here was over dog fish and that was because you lot did not understand that dog fish is a generic term for many species. They still don’t understand. A dogfish is a term for any species that hunt in packs. It is not one particular fish, but most likely a shark of some description.
I think they are the same mate. I’m sure they just call it different things. It lives in the sewer (that’s what our lass reckons).
They are the same. Panga, cobbler , basa. It’s fish for selling, not for eating. Cheap protein. Fed on antibiotics and growth hormones from pregnant chinese women’s piss. I kid you not.

Last edited:
I supply 149 and their owners , Deep Blue who are Surrey based. I reckon I supply 90% of shops in Surrey and don’t know one that cheats. Shit fish and chips mostly but no cheats. As for morrissons , I know nothing about this red skin fish. All I know is that compared to other retailers they are angels. They have real fish experts doing the buying who understand the industry not number crunchers like the others.
The only run in with trading standards we have down here was over dog fish and that was because you lot did not understand that dog fish is a generic term for many species. They still don’t understand. A dogfish is a term for any species that hunt in packs. It is not one particular fish, but most likely a shark of some description.

They are the same. Panga, cobbler , basa. It’s fish for selling, not for eating. Cheap protein. Fed on antibiotics and growth hormones from pregnant chinese women’s piss. I kid you not.
i Knew I had heard it was dirty. I Only have cod that I have caught myself now or mackerel. Normally a day old then fillet (much easier and tidier).

Not even the best chippy in Barney

Back