Best film you saw in the cinema?

In all honesty it originally Bombed (no pun intended), no phucker went to see it, I went back the same week to watch it again eventually alone as the three other patrons left after the first hour in the auditorium.

It was a very important film and lesson in cinematography ...................Glad i was their.

It was (eventually) a worldwide hit making $150m worldwide on a $31m budget. Its release was spread from summer 1979 through to late autumn 1980 - if it had earned that in a calendar year it would have been in the top 5 films worldwide.

Agree though, it's a magnificent film, Coppola's last great picture. I especially love the sound design, like in the opening scene where the helicopter rotors blend into the sound of the ceiling fan in his room.

Unfortunately it's also a sign of how Coppola's grand visions could spill over into excess - it took 3 years to make and doubled its budget. He succeeded despite going out of control and didn't learn any lessons - his next film One From The Heart was an absolute disaster.

Shame really: if he hadn't got fucked over on The Cotton Club that could have been his masterpiece, better even than the Godfathers, and the rest of his career might have gone differently

My Mam took me and our young 'un to the Odeon one Saturday morning when they did special showings for pennies.

It was freezing cold and we were sat down in the lowest seats (they weren't normally used for the regular showings) wrapped up in our coats and scarves.

The film was Where eagles Dare and during the opening scenes when the Junkers 52 is flying through the snow-covered mountains it felt like we were actually there, sitting on an Alp watching the plane fly by.

I've never forgot it, and it reminds me every time that films are best seen on the big screen - whatever they are.

It was (eventually) a worldwide hit making $150m worldwide on a $31m budget. Its release was spread from summer 1979 through to late autumn 1980 - if it had earned that in a calendar year it would have been in the top 5 films worldwide.

Agree though, it's a magnificent film, Coppola's last great picture. I especially love the sound design, like in the opening scene where the helicopter rotors blend into the sound of the ceiling fan in his room.

Unfortunately it's also a sign of how Coppola's grand visions could spill over into excess - it took 3 years to make and doubled its budget. He succeeded despite going out of control and didn't learn any lessons - his next film One From The Heart was an absolute disaster.

Shame really: if he hadn't got fucked over on The Cotton Club that could have been his masterpiece, better even than the Godfathers, and the rest of his career might have gone differently

Agree .................... pity at the time it was misunderstood.

Bohemian Rhapsody

This. It's new, a bit faulty and slated by the critics but to me, who watches as much as I can and have done since I was allowed to go on me tod, it had that thing that made me go back and watch it again.

A shout for Jaws. I was far too young and still traumatised. Particularly when the dog didn't come back.

I know I am old but some of the choices I have seen on here are rank.

The Magnificent Seven - Fantastic. I wish I had seen The Seven Samurai earlier than I did because that is better.

The Great Escape.

My Mam took me and our young 'un to the Odeon one Saturday morning when they did special showings for pennies.

It was freezing cold and we were sat down in the lowest seats (they weren't normally used for the regular showings) wrapped up in our coats and scarves.

The film was Where eagles Dare and during the opening scenes when the Junkers 52 is flying through the snow-covered mountains it felt like we were actually there, sitting on an Alp watching the plane fly by.

I've never forgot it, and it reminds me every time that films are best seen on the big screen - whatever they are.

My brother and I were also in the same Audience on a on Saturday morning ................................................ "Broad Sword Calling Danny Boy" .........................MAGIC .................Love that film. Nowt beats that excitement of being a kid watching a class film.

My fav was OHMSS Jimmy Bond.............that Soundtrack from John Barry TREMENDOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This. It's new, a bit faulty and slated by the critics but to me, who watches as much as I can and have done since I was allowed to go on me tod, it had that thing that made me go back and watch it again.

It's quite fitting for a film about Queen to be unpopular with the critics but loved by the audience, flawed but great fun and heavily dependent on a young talented man playing the role of Freddie Mercury

Not my usual cup of tea but I can remember being blown away by avatar , also loved les miserable son the fancy screen at the metro centre - the sound was incroyable

It has to be this. Seeing it in 3d imax remains the stand out, most amazing cinema experience of my life. It's what 3d films should all be like.

That one left quite impression on me apparently, four years old and wouldn’t stopping talking about it (or so my mam and dad used to say). That scene you mentioned I described in full detail around the evening dinner table at the hotel we were stopping at in Blackpool.... for some reason people weren’t keen on the tomato soup starter! :lol:
1 was 13 (I think) and I nearly shit myself:lol:

Blade Runner Director's Cut
Jackie Brown
Cyrano de Bergerac
Interstellar
Dark Knight
12 Years A Slave
Internal Affairs
City of God
Toy Story 2
Pulp Fiction
Usual Suspects
Leon
LA Confidential
Star Wars A New Hope
Back to the Future
Terminator 2
And the winner is ............

Last edited:
Was only a bairn when it came out and queue'd at sunlun ABC, missed out the 1st time by 20 bodies went back really early the next day and their was still 100 before us...we got in and it's the 1st time ever that I'd ever heard a group...Audience cheering a film the (Drago fight)...

Last edited:

Back