Best film/series/documentary to explain Irish recent history.

Living in Germany and wanting to give a diverse view of UK. Got talking to my year 10 class (15/16 year olds) about Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland. They wanted to know if there is a good series/documentary they could watch to have a better understanding of the history there. Any ideas, anyone? Cheers in advance.
Mate, get them to watch a programme on the BBC I player called Lost Lives

Its basically about a book listing every victim of the troubles. The documentary focuses on different deaths from all different sides... Its narrated by famous names throughout Irish history and is one of the most powerful things I've ever seen.

Another programme I loved but it was fictionalised was a drama called Generation war. Which is about 4 young Germans who sign up to the German war effort. Its in the German language but was shown on the BBC.

I watched the documentary series 'Spotlight on the Troubles: A Secret History' recently on BBC iplayer. Seven episodes 60 to 90 minutes in length. I found it to be detailed, unbiased and I learned a fair bit more about the conflict than I knew.

'The Wind that Shakes the Barley' by Ken Loach in a very good film on the Irish War for Independence, though obviously less recent.

Presently reading A Secret History on the Troubles by Ed Moloney. Seems to be very comprehensive and well researched thus far.

You’ve picked out three cracking recommendations there. The Spotlight documentaries are superb.
Anything by Peter Taylor is worth a read/watch. Ten Men Dead by David Beresford about the hunger strikes. Voices From The Grave by Ed Moloney concerning two paramilitaries, one from
each side. The section on Brendan Hughes, especially, is magnificent.

Last edited:
This is a good set of radio programs on the british isles, but it covers a large part of recent irish history from a mainland point of view (and goes a long way to explain why the irish troubles are actually our troubles). Its available in podcast form as well (from all good podcast providers)...

The Invention of... Britian

all the different series are fantastic, they've just broadcast the invention of Scandinavia a few weeks are ago too. misha glenny is brilliant in these series...

Just PM @CatRyan , she'll tell you the score.

until recently I really tried to keep off watching them as you can see the result when I do :lol:

I've recently become more and more concerned with the desecration of the GFA and couldn't understand the foolishness of it all, so I delved in again

I grew up in a culture where this was not discussed maintaining an implicit silence on the whole torrid affair

but in reply to the OP:

until recently I really tried to keep off watching them as you can see the result when I do :lol:

I've recently become more and more concerned with the desecration of the GFA and couldn't understand the foolishness of it all, so I delved in again

I grew up in a culture where this was not discussed maintaining an implicit silence on the whole torrid affair

but in reply to the OP:

Have you seen No Stone Unturned? Highly recommended - it is about the Loughinisland Massacre. A shocking incident as is the failure of the perpetrators to be brought to justice. The police investigated the journalists who produced the documentary.....

Have you seen No Stone Unturned? Highly recommended - it is about the Loughinisland Massacre. A shocking incident as is the failure of the perpetrators to be brought to justice. The police investigated the journalists who produced the documentary.....
I haven't, like I said, until recently I have tried not to stoke the fires on this as it is just so glaringly appalling and unfair but thank you for the recommendation I will check it out

Living in Germany and wanting to give a diverse view of UK. Got talking to my year 10 class (15/16 year olds) about Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland. They wanted to know if there is a good series/documentary they could watch to have a better understanding of the history there. Any ideas, anyone? Cheers in advance.

Hi OP. Many of the replies here are focusing on the Troubles era which is only a tiny element of Ireland's overall history and relationship with Britain and other countries.

Here is a link to a detailed BBC history of Ireland BBC 5 part history of Ireland- part 1

For kids/teens with shorter attention spans here is a link to a 6 minute animated history of Ireland Short animated history of Ireland

Hi OP. Many of the replies here are focusing on the Troubles era which is only a tiny element of Ireland's overall history and relationship with Britain and other countries.

Here is a link to a detailed BBC history of Ireland BBC 5 part history of Ireland- part 1

For kids/teens with shorter attention spans here is a link to a 6 minute animated history of Ireland Short animated history of Ireland
Cheers. The kids are clever and will watch longer documentaries however I was hoping for something that delved further cack than the troubles. I will check out you links. Thanks again.

Back