Best driving route to Edinburgh?

I've done it hundreds of times. A697 Coldstream is quickest, especially since the Call with bypass was opened. A1 about 10mins slower but more.picturesque.

Latter easily the best. Wrote a car off around Otterburn but wasn't my fault.
A697 my favourite as used to do it every day in a truck. 5 minutes faster on to the bypass than the A1. Back in the day we could do Darlo to Leith in 3 hours in a truck, not a chance now. No wonder speed limiters were brought in ;) (and that was before the Newcastle bypass was built)

Train if you are staying in City centre--canny bit cheaper than the speed cameras that are lurking if you stray above limits
There are a lot of them like, particularly once you're into Scotland. No bloody services either which isn't great when you have an 8 year old full of pepsi max!! :lol::lol:

travelling from Newcastle city centre. A1 would be the most logical but there’s always something slowing it up, be it roadworks or agricultural vehicles
For years I always went via Coldstream or Jedburgh. That was the route we always took as a family when coming down from Edinburgh to Newcastle 5/6 times a year.
Last year I flew to Canada from Edinburgh and went A1 both ways - found it a really pleasant drive. Slightly longer, but a decent run.

A1/A697/A68.

Then onward to Stirling for a stroll up the hill to the castle. Make sure you take a look at the Wallace monument before continuing north and turning right at the tartan hell of Pitlochry to stop off at Moulin. Visit the old church there and examine the evidence of former inhabitants sharpening their swords on the stonework at the entrance. Gaze at the grave of a crusader in the churchyard.

Order Haggis an Neeps at the Moulin Inn accompanied by a pint of Old Constitutional. Realise after two more pints of it you can’t actually pronounce it anymore so order a milder beer thats also brewed on the premises to quaff in front of their roaring log fire before retiring to bed.

Drive Onward the next day; north to Glen Afric. Spectacular views across the Loch and a walk along the river that gurgles and rushes along at your feet. Admire the russet and yellow glory of autumn moving to winter. Or travel back in time if it’s too late to do that.

Onward to Inverness. Turn left and glory in the majesty of the entirety of the Great Glen. Drive the whole length of it - bemoan the visitor centre at Urquart Castle but get over it by Loch Lochy. Miss out the drive to the Western Isles ( maybe next time) and detour via the A82 to Spean Bridge stopping off at the Blacksmiths Arms back to Glencoe and drive down to Glen Etive - picnicking at the very end of the drive whilst tiny birds invade your car searching for crumbs on the dashboard. Turn right at Crianlarich and head for Perth. Take a stroll along the river admiring the architecture and the bridge. Drive back via Falkirk and Linlithgow but don’t stop because you have to go back to Edinburgh.

Return via the A720 then the A7 before a left turn and a B road into the Moorfoot hills and look back for a stunning twilight view of the city before descending past ‘the Pipers Grave’ detouring past Traquair House and a purchase of some of their microbrewery product. Set the satnav to your home postcode driving via Melrose and Jedburgh and put the beer in the boot

Drink it at home and dream of childhood.

That’s my preferred route.

Last edited by a moderator:
A1/A697/A68.

Then onward to Stirling for a stroll up the hill to the castle. Take look at the Wallace monument before continuing north and turning right at the tartan hell of Pitlochry to stop off at Moulin. Visit the old church there and examine the evidence of former inhabitants sharpening their swords on the stonework at the entrance. Gaze at the grave of a crusader in the churchyard.

Order Haggis an Neeps at the Moulin Inn accompanied by a pint of Old Constitutional. Realise after two more pints of it you can’t actually pronounce it anymore so order a milder beer thats also brewed on the premises to quaff in front of their roaring log fire before retiring to bed.

Drive Onward the next day; north to Glen Afric. Spectacular views across the Loch and a walk along the river that gurgles and rushes along at your feet. Admire the russet and yellow glory of autumn moving to winter. Or travel back in time if it’s too late to do that.

Onward to Inverness. Turn left and glory in the majest of the entirety of the Great Glen. Drive the whole length of it - bemoan the visitor centre at Urquart Castle but get over it by Loch Lochy. Miss out the drive to the Western Isles and detour via the A82 to Speam Bridge stopping off at the Blacksmiths Arms back to Glencoe and drive down to Glen Etive - picnicking at the very end of the drive whilst tiny birds invade your car searching for crumbs on the dashboard. Turn right at Crianlarich and head for Perth. Take a stroll along the river admiring the architecture and the bridge. Drive back via Falkirk and Linlithgow but don’t stop because you have to go back to Edinburgh.

Return via the A720 then the A7 before a left turn and a B road into the Moorfoot hills and look back for a stunning twilight view of the city before descending past ‘the Pipers Grave’ detouring past Traquair House and a purchase of some of their microbrewery product. Set the satnav to your home postcode driving via Melrose and Jedburgh and put the beer in the boot

Drink it at home and dream of childhood.
The moulin is one of my favourite pubs in the UK

This is my preferred route.
Especially if you have time to factor in a stop at the " Running Fox" Cafe Longframlington( check out trip adv) amazing food!and right on the route.A697..all the way if you have time ...

Back