Best driving route to Edinburgh?

travelling from Newcastle city centre. A1 would be the most logical but there’s always something slowing it up, be it roadworks or agricultural vehicles

From the city centre the best way would be to Ponteland then the A696 to Otterburn, then the A68 to Jedburgh and on to Edinburgh.
I drive up all the time, going tomorrow actually.

A lot easier to get the train up imo

Depends what you're going for surely?

A1 is longer, but has a good number of dual carriageway sections.

A697 from A1 at Morpeth to A68 at Carfraemill is a nice drive if you are a keen driver or like scenery, but is littered with speed cameras north of the border. There are cameras south of the border but these are in Longfram and the other village beginnign with an L. There's sometime a mobile set up at Powburn.

A1 is the easier drive.

Longhorsely.

A697. Everyone I know who’s lived up there comes down for the match that way.

A1 is always full of traffic and never quicker.
this. I was born in Edinburgh and moved to sunderland after the army. so from about 1979 onwards regularly travelled to Edinburgh.

A1 is the easiest route but takes longer.
I would go up a1, a697 and onto a68 into Edinburgh. It used to be a good 30mins quicker

on the way back stop of at the bakers at Pathhead. delic pies

From the city centre the best way would be to Ponteland then the A696 to Otterburn, then the A68 to Jedburgh and on to Edinburgh.
I drive up all the time, going tomorrow actually.

Depends what you're going for surely?
Unless you're hauling something big then you might need a vehicle. Train is easy has nice scenery and takes you right into the centre of the city.

Google gives

2 h 17 min (120.5 mi) via A1
2 h 24 min (104.2 mi) via A696 and A68
2 h 24 min (109.0 mi) via A697

Go one way come back another for variety, twistier route by day, A1 by night?

Back