Best defender ever?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date

Gotta be Maldini. Successful as owt. Technically unbeaten at three World Cups - only losing on penalties in the semis in 90, the Final 94, and the quarters in 98. Constantly voted into Teams of the Tournament. Versatile. Fourteen years a top international, twenty-five with AC Milan. Won the CL for the 5th time at 39.

Gotta be Maldini. Successful as owt. Technically unbeaten at three World Cups - only losing on penalties in the semis in 90, the Final 94, and the quarters in 98. Constantly voted into Teams of the Tournament. Versatile. Fourteen years a top international, twenty-five with AC Milan. Won the CL for the 5th time at 39.
Virgil Van Dyke is the only player on the planet who just might come close to Maldini in 15 years time. Maldini seemed to posses ESP and thus never needed to run anywhere! Jaap Stam was a beast in his day and so was Vidic.

Virgil Van Dyke is the only player on the planet who just might come close to Maldini in 15 years time. Maldini seemed to posses ESP and thus never needed to run anywhere! Jaap Stam was a beast in his day and so was Vidic.
No chance. He's 28 already.

Maldini's philosophy was that if he had to make a tackle, he'd already made a mistake. He was a master.

Last edited:
I think one of the most underrated defenders I've seen was Ricardo Carvalho who was at Chelsea, Never really took that much notice off him till he left, both Terry and Chech won all the praise for how good the defence was and how many clean sheets they kept when the won the league.
It was when Carvalho left they went to fuck
It was a bit like the great season Nyron had was to do with Johnny Evans next to him doing all the basics.

I think one of the most underrated defenders I've seen was Ricardo Carvalho who was at Chelsea, Never really took that much notice off him till he left, both Terry and Chech won all the praise for how good the defence was and how many clean sheets they kept when the won the league.
It was a bit like the great season Nyron had was to do with Johnny Evans next to him doing all the basics.
Correct.

Terry's so overrated it's unbelievable. I reckon I could have strode about like a full kit wanker anarl if I had Makele in front of me, Carvalho beside me, and Cech behind.

People mention Terry cos he'd put his body on the line and make last ditch tackles etc - well ya need to consider Maldini's words I mentioned above. A defender doing these things has already ballsed up.

It speaks volumes that it was Carvalho that Mourinho took to Chelsea, and not Terry.

He's the best England had paraded before it.
Absolutely filthy.

Makes you laugh when Vidic and Terry get mentions instead.

Back