Best defender ever?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
All the greats have been said already but the one modern day defender who has stood out for me is Diego Godin. His performance against Barcelona at the Nou Camp in the 1-1 draw ( which he scored in) title decider in 2014 is one of the most heroic displays I've ever seen from a center half. Atletico won the league. He almost repeated this against Real Madrid in the champions league final weeks later (a game in which he also scored).

I mentioned him, terrific defender. Such a warrior. He's faded a bit now and has been overtaken by Van Djik, but he was the best defender in the world in the era you talk about.

Jürgen Kogler, Lothar Matthäus, Ronald Norman, Vincent Kompany (to mention one more recently)
Morten Olsen played as captain on the national team till the age of 39, honorable mention for that accomplishment

Jürgen Kogler, Lothar Matthäus, Ronald Norman, Vincent Kompany (to mention one more recently)
Morten Olsen played as captain on the national team till the age of 39, honorable mention for that accomplishment
Matthaus was more CM than defender

I mentioned him, terrific defender. Such a warrior. He's faded a bit now and has been overtaken by Van Djik, but he was the best defender in the world in the era you talk about.
Yeah I seen your post. He is a true warrior. Atleticos defensive stats are just ridiculous.

Also here's a canny write up of the game I was referring to. I just remember him being heroic at both ends of the pitch. Throwing his body at absolutely everything.

Back