Best cheapy games console for kids

Marty Moose

Striker
I've been looking at getting the bairns (7 and 8) a second hand games console for them to while away a few hours over the summer holidays if it inevitably pisses down. They aren't gaming nerds or anything, but would probably enjoy games that are a little more involving than the basic free ones they play on their tablets, but don't really need to be cutting edge as it's just going to be a little time waster for them.

Looking for something that I can pick the games up for a fiver or so on Ebay or Music Magpie etc. Been looking at the PS3 or an Xbox 360, either of those better to suit?

I've been looking at getting the bairns (7 and 8) a second hand games console for them to while away a few hours over the summer holidays if it inevitably pisses down. They aren't gaming nerds or anything, but would probably enjoy games that are a little more involving than the basic free ones they play on their tablets, but don't really need to be cutting edge as it's just going to be a little time waster for them.

Looking for something that I can pick the games up for a fiver or so on Ebay or Music Magpie etc. Been looking at the PS3 or an Xbox 360, either of those better to suit?
I don't know what they are into but the Wii U is worth looking at aswell, party style games, mario kart and smash bros etc. are all classics for kids.

I would get something like the Mini Nintendo SNES. It has a variety of games all ready on it and should keep the kids happy without introducing them the likes of killing prostitutes in drive by shootings!

Your guide to the SNES Mini | Games, release date, where to buy

Here is one available on EBay for a reasonable price. I have no connection to the Seller and would suggest that you do due diligence before parting with your cash, and follow EBay and PayPal’s instructions to the letter in case he turns out to be a wrong ‘un.
New Super Nintendo SNES Classic Mini with 200 + Extra Games | eBay

You could also try your local Asda, or other supermarkets on the off chance they still have them in stock. You will need the Adapter too if you don’t already have a suitable one already.

How I envy kids being introduced to Super Mario and Zelda for the first time!

I got the bairn a mini SNES for Christmas and he was happy. Better than forking out for a Switch which he's far too young for.

Wouldn't worry about the reliability of Xbox360 consoles, it was the earlier ones that would break and they'll all likely be dead by now. Pick up a 360 S (slim) model and they're much newer.

I wouldn't bother with the Pi stuff or the modded mini classic consoles either unless you know what you're doing with them. When they work they're spot on, if not you'll need to know how to put it right.

My kid and nephew play with the Xbox360, Wii and Wii U quite often with nee bother.

The only problem with buying an old console, as opposed to an updated version of that console, is that the batteries in the games cartridges may have ceased working. A new or updated version is almost certainly a better option unless you are skilled at opening cartridges and replacing and soldering new batteries in them.

I wouldn’t buy a modded version of the mini consoles as there are plenty of games on them to cover anyone’s summer holiday and it’s just greed to try and stick more on them. Better to have twenty odd games working properly than hundreds that only work intermittently.

Last edited:
Nintendo consoles are the best thing for young kids.

You should be able to pick up a Wii, a couple of controllers and a few games for not much more than £20 on Facebook marketplace or gumtree.
This.

Nintendo have mainly focused on the family entertainment and the entertainment of the young.

Dig out the old A600 and give them a bash on Moonstone.
Played this the other day on my retro pi and it’s a lot harder than I remembered

Just get a Rasberry Pi and a couple of controllers. Will work out about £60 and they'll have access to 100's of games, but they won't get the full online experience (which is good, cos it's that that gets them hooked)

Back