Best Area/Places To Stay In California

:lol:

Its mad mind - at Easter he sent me a video of him pulling 20 yards of flags out of a strippers fanny in Benidorm

@The Lonious Monk - if ever you wanted to know the difference between the US and UK, the above tells you everything you need to know

There was a British comedian (can't recall who it was now) who said that the best way to describe the difference between the UK and the US is at what happens at a wedding. In the US if a person has 5 glasses of wine and is acting stupid, the people at the wedding call that person a drunk. In the UK that person is the designated driver:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

There was a British comedian (can't recall who it was now) who said that the best way to describe the difference between the UK and the US is at what happens at a wedding. In the US if a person has 5 glasses of wine and is acting stupid, the people at the wedding call that person a drunk. In the UK that person is the designated driver:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

or the Vicar/Priest

I live in Orange County, highly recommend Laguna/Newport beach for a day trip. LA is class, hire a car as transport links are shite. You can borrow my old 2005 Toyota Camry if you’re short on cash, just bring me over some monster munch

Anyone have any hotel recommendations for the stretch between Santa monica and Carmel? We probably have 4-5 days to drive up there and haven't booked any accomodation

L.A is an amazing city. Can’t believe how anybody can dislike it.
We stayed downtown LA so could take subway into Hollywood and we used bus to get us out to Santa Monica / Venice / Beverley Hills etc.
A superb city.
SAN Francisco we stayed Union Sq which is also recommend.
Really need to get back to California

Another vote here that LA is a shithole...SAN Francisco bloody brilliant place ...apart from the homeless...but most are no bother

Anyone have any hotel recommendations for the stretch between Santa monica and Carmel? We probably have 4-5 days to drive up there and haven't booked any accomodation

The Madonna Inn. Trust me... You’ll not stay anywhere like it ever again!

San Luis Obispo is a great little place too.

Last edited:
Probably the most racist state in the union and the closer you get to the border, the more racist they are. Mexicans are to blame for everything. Drugs, gangs, burglaries, wildfires in the hills - all Mexicans. Look out for the racially profiling roadblocks on the interstates. The way Latinos are treated there sickened me.

Beaches, considering they make such a fuss about them, are utter shit. I saw someone say Laguna beach and that was just a grim narrow stretch of dirty sand, completely covered by the tide for long periods. A real disappointment.

The countryside in the south is semi-desert with scrubby little bushes. In the north of the state it's much nicer and the drive north up the coast road to Sacramento is quite pretty. Sacramento is about the only place I would recommend. They're a bit more sophisticated and less up themselves up there

We did it in 2015

San Fran
Carmel
Pismo Beach
Santa Barbara
San Diego

Also stopped off along the way at different places. Was epic. I loved Alcatraz, but wasn't a massive fan of San Fran apart from daytime drinking in Height Ashbury. Got threatened in Tenderloin by 4 blokes. Mrs had found some 'cool' bar, their card machine was broken so I had to go get cash. In Tenderloin. At 11pm. Surrounded by meth heads at a cash point in a 7/11. Bar was actually good in the end, just made sure the Uber got us right outside.

Carmel/Monterrey are both nice, we stayed at the former and went out in the latter. Loved Santa Barbara and San Diego.

If you go at a decent time of the year weather wise, I'd recommend a convertible.

If I didn't have so many other places on my list I'd go back. Want to do more driving through the states.

I did San Fran, Yosemite , Beverly Hills and San Diego a few years ago

All were great, definitely do atleast 1 National Park

The drive from San Fran to Yosemite and also around Carmel and approaching la/ Santa Monica is breathtaking

Would go back in a heart beat
Did exactly the same a few years back. Monterey/Carmel/Santa Monica is lush.
And as above, go see the redwoods and Yosemite.

Back