Best and final offers - houses

It's a bit like offers over in Scotland. ATM house prices aren't achieving that round here so again it's pot luck unless you can get a fixed price then it's first come first serve. We are paying rent on the house we are in and the owner has offered it to us for 5k over the initial valuation.

Some of them used to be "desktop surveys" which is basically Google Maps Street View! Not sure if that still happens, I bet it does.
Yes. Some lenders use these for low LTV cases. We started doing them in lockdown and they are very common now. We have access to far more information than google earth though.

Shit system. My daughter is going through the process of trying to buy a house and everything seems to go through this ‘best and final’ system. She missed out again today. Offers over 220k. Ends up being a guessing game - her offer was 8.5k over the asking price and it wasn’t enough. It’s sneaky - the estates agents let buyers know if a higher offer has come in right up until the last minute. Anyone else had any luck or disappointments through this system?
Sounds more like an auction. Bad crack I'd say
Sounds like footballers agreeing contract but there's a greedy agent in the middle .Ultimately people are either over paying or you're looking at kips you can't afford .
Years ago a mate who worked in a bank and had the advantage of a cheap mortgage went in and offered £5k over the asking price which was accepted immediately.

His point of view was, it was the house he wanted in the position he wanted and to take the long term view that £5k extra upfront was money well spent, he was proved right.
I thought lenders only lend what they see as an accurate value . ? It used to be quite strict . People tried to over borrow and get cash back off the seller

Last edited:

Back