Best 3 bands to emerge from England

Excluding The Beatles or Stones as that would be boring.

The criteria (other than Englishness) are up to you. If you think that winning Eurovision is important, then you might include Bucks Fizz. But don't blame me if you're ridiculed.

Factors that you might want to consider:
  • individuality
  • popularity
  • creativity
  • longevity
  • "Englishness"
  • songwriting
  • etc..
For me:

The Kinks
The Stranglers
The Damned

(I didn't pay any attention to any of them, until I was 40 odd).

2/3, I’d personally swap The Stranglers for Queen

one of the biggest bands ever. anyone not saying queen is a prat tbh
They're an excellent and popular band, no mistake. Great musicians. I'm not a particular fan, but I can see all that. I just felt that XTC and The Stranglers had that bit extra English style oddballness, that only we do. Ironically I probably enjoy Queen more than both of them. But Queen were always something of a cliche.

Still churning out vibrant original stuff, and playing to packed crowds on a yearly basis after 40+ years, though.

Beatles? Stones?

I saw The Stranglers here (Manchester) a few weeks back and was amazed at how many youngungs there were. Probably with their baldy accountant dads fair enough.
Yeah ,not too interested in seeing them over and over ,it's a trip down memory lane really and I'd rather see new stuff .Baz does a great job and they still sound class .At their peak ( ideas not sales ) they were out there and totally unique
Talking Black and white /Raven, Black album/ Strawberries ,for me anyway

Back