Berlin

plenty of walking tours..I would do the Flak tower one but I know my missus just wouldnt be interested

Yes, a good city for a guided tour as there are lots of historical sites which you might walk past without noticing such as the location of Hitler's bunker which is just a non-descript car park now. Can't blame them for not turning it into a tourist site.

The only tacky site is Checkpoint Charlie which is ghastly - and right next to a huge McDonalds. If that's not a symbol for who won the Cold War then I don't know what is.

Reichstag tour is brilliant. They've still got the old Soviet ' fuck off Adolf' graffiti. Make sure you do the audio tour in the glass dome - great view.

The only tacky site is Checkpoint Charlie which is ghastly - and right next to a huge McDonalds. If that's not a symbol for who won the Cold War then I don't know what is.

I thought that was tacky as well.

I found the Memorial garden more moving and the small section of wall with a watchtower that they've left in tact so you have an idea of what it was like.

Yes, a good city for a guided tour as there are lots of historical sites which you might walk past without noticing such as the location of Hitler's bunker which is just a non-descript car park now. Can't blame them for not turning it into a tourist site.

The tour guide we had basically asked us what we could see next to checkpoint Charlie, a McDonalds and a KF. she finished that part of the tour with ‘that’s all you need to know’.

I thought that was tacky as well.

I found the Memorial garden more moving and the small section of wall with a watchtower that they've left in tact so you have an idea of what it was like.

The Holocaust memorial is err... hard to find the right word for it. Doesn't try to explain what happened but or what the memorial is trying to say but leaves you to come to your own interpretation of what it means.

The Holocaust memorial is err... hard to find the right word for it. Doesn't try to explain what happened but or what the memorial is trying to say but leaves you to come to your own interpretation of what it means.

We stood on one side and it just looked like loads and loads of concrete blocks and I was thinking it was a bit weird for a memorial. Then we walked through it. I can't describe how I felt when I came out the other side. Just numb and subdued I guess. It really makes you think.

Went on a bike-tour of the Tiergarten, which was great. A huge park in a massive city, but you felt like you were in the countryside. We hired the bike from a place near the telecom tower.
Potsdam is an impressive place. It's where the major powers signed the Treaty that was so important, after the Second World War.
It is a "chocolate box" place that seemed a bit odd. There is a Nazi HQ building there, that is still sinister. It's near a superb park.
The East German Museum, near the main river, was also interesting, if you are of an age to remember East Germany ?
Also there's a couple of Stasi (former East German secret police) museums, which are also interesting if you're into Eastern Bloc history.
Good beer, with loads of people wandering about with a bottle in their hand...

The East German Museum, near the main river, was also interesting, if you are of an age to remember East Germany ?
Also there's a couple of Stasi (former East German secret police) museums, which are also interesting if you're into Eastern Bloc history.
the DDR museum was really interesting, and well done i thought. the statsi museum is somewhere i'd be interested in seeing having read so much about them.

Went on a bike-tour of the Tiergarten, which was great. A huge park in a massive city, but you felt like you were in the countryside.

We walked through there and it did feel like you were in the middle of nowhere rather than in a city. There's a memorial in there for homosexuals persecuted by Nazi's which is moving.

We stayed at the park Inn by raddison blu in Alexander platz. Superb hotel & location.
The tour guides are outstanding & v informative. Berlin was actually built on a swamp. Find all sorts of buff out like that. 👍

Back