Benzema offered £395mil a season by Saudi club

I’m surprised, in discussing whether the Saudi league could be on course to one day becoming the most popular and watched in the world, that no one has mentioned some of the things that I think are crucial and what have previously contributed hugely to the Premier League’s own popularity.

Those are it being a competitive league (how long would it take to have every team having a reasonable level of player throughout their squad? Will they have a league structure with relegation in place? etc). Without things like that the matches will be nothing more than glorified testimonials, that won’t appeal to the masses. The other is the match going crowd and general match day atmosphere. I’m sure it contributes to a TV viewers enjoyment. Can that atmosphere be fabricated?

Last edited:

Messi turns down obscene amount of money from Saudis to sign for Inter Miami

But the Saudis are going to take over football I heard on here
Could they not sign players for ridiculous money and then loan them to Newcastle with no wage requirements? Circumvent the FFP?
No clubs would be all over that quickly

Last edited:
I’m surprised, in discussing whether the Saudi league could be on course to one day becoming the most popular and watched in the world, that no one has mentioned some of the things that I think are crucial and what have previously contributed hugely to the Premier League’s own popularity.

Those are it being a competitive league (how long would it take to have every team having a reasonable level of player throughout their squad? Will they have a league structure with relegation in place? etc). Without things like that the matches will be nothing more than glorified testimonials, that won’t appeal to the masses. The other is the match going crowd and general match day atmosphere. I’m sure it contributes to a TV viewers enjoyment. Can that atmosphere be fabricated?
I used to go and watch Al-Wasl when I visited Dubai. 1st time I experienced rent a crowd!

The more I think about it the more I think that the purchase of the Mags might just be a advertising tool for their own league.

The more I think about it the more I think that the purchase of the Mags might just be a advertising tool for their own league.

Who knows what these new developments mean. But they mean business - they are paying Benzema equivalent of the mags transfer budget.

My guess for what it is worth is there is going to be a huge change in the premier league soon and Saudi millions will feature heavily. The near silence by Sky, aside from odd news item on City and mags, tells me they have been briefed and are on board. What it involves is anyones guess but my hunch is something over there during winter.

I just don't think European's would be bothered about watching a league in a different continent. Football is life to many here, it's more about the domestic competition than anything outside of that and the Saudi's can only buy a limited number of players.

They simply don't have the history to compete imo. It's all forced and unnatural it seems as well.

Back