Benny Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requires explanation for any readers under 25 probably on account of -

- Benny Hill (nothing to do with a place between Hylton Castle and Downhill)
- milk cart ( people used to get milk delivered to their doorstep every day)

There's a Kenny Hill near me. The sign makes me chuckle every time. Benny Hill was very funny and hugely under-rated.

You think so? You really think that? Bearing in mind that twat Michael MacIntyre is selling out gigs and all over the TV. Writing and performing gags (I know stand-up is different to slapstick) MacIntyre and most of the the other TV comedians aren't fit to lace Benny's boots.

I think so yes. I really think that. Extraordinary isn't it?

Even in his heyday when he was on the telly all the time I couldn't understand why people thought he was that funny. Although there were similar 11 year old comedians in my school playground where the level of wit and the standard and style of the jokes were very similar. I may have been one of them. Nobody laughed much at me either.

Also the humour potential of a multitude of well known TV personalities trying to affix and fasten boots to the corpse of a dead comedian has fairly limited appeal for me

Comedy legend.

Absolutely disgraceful the lack of air time his shows get these days.

25 years since his death, surely deserves a run to commemorate this.

Benny Hill was brilliant. To judge him by contemporary standards regarding political correctness is unfair.

That's where the mainstream audience was in those days, and he hit their funny bone with unerring accuracy. Even now, the thought of the speeded up sequences to "Yakety Sax" brings a smile to my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back