Benidorm

You must be down to 30 euro's a show at the moment?
Hope things pick up for you marra.
Never really worked for over a year cos I have a price and that's my price. I'd rather not work than work for less than my worth. The problem is; even in the current climate, once you accept a low fee, that fee becomes your bottom line. I'd rather play the long game and have my fees maintained, when things come back.

I've/we've done a few for less in our regular venues in but have donated the fees to the Food Bank here, just to keep active.

Last edited:

Never really worked for over a year cos I have a price and that's my price. I'd rather not work than work for less than my worth. The problem is; even in the current climate, once you accept a low fee, that fee becomes your bottom line. I'd rather play the long game and have my fees maintained, when things come back.

I've/we've done a few for less in our regular venues in but have donated the fees to the Food Bank here, just to keep active.
Well done marra.
I know exactly what you're saying.
Stick in there.

Like us, he makes a comfortable living. Often comes over here to watch the match with me.

It's not everybody's Cup of tea but it worries me not.

It is. Not actually called Neptune's, its Morgan's Tavern, but aye.
While we were in we were treated to a Cockney Rod Stewart and a Take That band, place was packed so doing something correct ,was canny after a few beers
We were in when Chris's rock was doing her turn,dear me, bouncers asked us to leave
I've never been offered drugs in Sunderland before, but in Benidorm around the strip theres someone on pretty much every corner asking about Charlie. It's not just drugs either, prostitutes brazenly offering their services in public
We were accosted by some young ladies of the nights, just say no and as the hotel manager said to us, the only thing they won't take off you is your virginity :lol:

Last edited:
:lol:

aye all I’m basing it off is the 24 hour square. We were there during the last World Cup when we played Sweden. The place was lawless
I was there for the semi final, massive police presence on the streets, with guns , more than even a Sunderland v Newcastle game, didn’t see any bother, every bar was chocka block

While we were in we were treated to a Cockney Rod Stewart and a Take That band, place was packed so doing something correct ,was canny after a few beers
We were in when Chris's rock was doing her turn,dear me, bouncers asked us to leave

We were accosted by some young ladies of the nights, just say no and as the hotel manager said to us, the only thing they won't take off you is your virginity :lol:
Sounds right.
Owld Rod is a cockney - was born down in that there London and not in Scotchland.
We saw a guy making a living pretending to be Rod Stewart, problem was he was a much better singer than rs and not nearly as ugly .
Bob Fairlie?

Sounds right.
Owld Rod is a cockney - was born down in that there London and not in Scotchland.

Bob Fairlie?
Aye, well done . What a great night we had . Sitting outside 22c everybody well oiled and a whole small slow roasted leg of lamb for E20 . I must have had me drink spiked I was happy as fu(( whereas I usually a bit morose after a bucket of good drink and a couple of hours of owld songs . You should have heard him do Tony Bennet man, the whole audience was screaming for him from 20 somethings up to 70 somethings . Everybody re-booked who wasn't going home . Christ I wish I was there now .

It's just one show I do, marra. I sing for money and if they want it, then f*ck it, I'll do it. I'm actually far more at home singing Matt Munro, Perry Como or Tony Bennett but that's a more limited audience these days so I do what pays the bills.
If you are any good at those artists I would think you could make a good living. Rat Pack or Come Fly With Me will always be popular.

Always funny seeing the Spanish in big winter coats when the British, Irish and other northern Europeans are in shorts and t-shirts
f***ing hilarious man. 👍
The oldies love the lunchtime scran - like a plague of locusts descending on the restaurant - and they are there to the bitter end - stuffing themselves.
Good luck to the owld gets:lol:

Last time I was in Benidorm there was a skinny mime artist who would pick on folk walking along the Levante prom and copy them.
He was as funny as feck.

If you are any good at those artists I would think you could make a good living. Rat Pack or Come Fly With Me will always be popular.
You'd be surprised. That sort of thing is more popular in the winter than in the summer but it's not really what people are looking for anymore.

Most 70 year olds would have been 20 or so in 1970 so they're far more interested in the stones than sinatra and the likes.

Anybody older than that tend not to leave their hotels much at night so whilst there might be hotel work, the hotels tend to want general "across the board" cabaret rather than just a specific genre.

Besides, bookers, ents managers and venue owners get younger, year on year and trying to sell a show that was big in the 40s, 50s and 60s to a twenty something is...

It's a fine balance, getting it right.

Last edited:

Back