Benedict Allen 'missing' in Papua New Guinea

A colleague went to PNG a month ago and he was their guide for some of it, apparently a really nice bloke but a bit "out there". Reckons he was pushing it to be at the airstrip when he planned to be there anyway so he could just be running behind. Hopefully nothing more to it.

Marching off to Heathrow. I may be some time (don't try to rescue me, please - where I'm going in PNG you won't ever find me you know...)

Wild Speculation: The bold bit is a quote from Captain Oats of the Scott of the Antarctic Expedition who self-sacrificed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Oates#Last_words). The "don't try to rescue me..." part seems to say he is expecting to not return and to be missed by those he leave behind. I read it as saying: I am off, I won't be back. I wonder if he has had enough of the western life and wants to go to a place where he found much joy in the past.

Hope not, he's got a wife and kids.

A colleague went to PNG a month ago and he was their guide for some of it, apparently a really nice bloke but a bit "out there". Reckons he was pushing it to be at the airstrip when he planned to be there anyway so he could just be running behind. Hopefully nothing more to it.

Hope not, he's got a wife and kids.
All’s well that ends well.

Back