Benedict Allen 'missing' in Papua New Guinea

Hope he is ok, met him at one of his talks in Durham, and he is a top bloke. Signed one of his books for my son who was only a baby at the time (is 19 now) saying "To Adam, never stop exploring".

Hope he's ok and he lives to write a book about his extended stay in the jungle...

However if he's deed it's not overly surprising reading where he was heading and without a gps device or means of communication.

what was it?
Marching off to Heathrow. I may be some time (don't try to rescue me, please - where I'm going in PNG you won't ever find me you know...)

Wild Speculation: The bold bit is a quote from Captain Oats of the Scott of the Antarctic Expedition who self-sacrificed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Oates#Last_words). The "don't try to rescue me..." part seems to say he is expecting to not return and to be missed by those he leave behind. I read it as saying: I am off, I won't be back. I wonder if he has had enough of the western life and wants to go to a place where he found much joy in the past.

Marching off to Heathrow. I may be some time (don't try to rescue me, please - where I'm going in PNG you won't ever find me you know...)

Wild Speculation: The bold bit is a quote from Captain Oats of the Scott of the Antarctic Expedition who self-sacrificed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Oates#Last_words). The "don't try to rescue me..." part seems to say he is expecting to not return and to be missed by those he leave behind. I read it as saying: I am off, I won't be back. I wonder if he has had enough of the western life and wants to go to a place where he found much joy in the past.

Cheers. Does sound like he has "gone native".

he could have just been delayed for any number of reasons, bad weather, getting a bit lost

when you dont take satellite phones and the like its entirely feasible to be a few days late

sounds like a right old fashioned swashbuckling indiana jones type you used to read about in warlord or whizzer and chips or summat mate. hope no penny is left unspent retrieving him or his remains there
Yes, very much so. We used to do things like this and bear the consequences if it all went tits up. Pleased he's been found safe and well there.

Back